Am I the only one? Lol

Soooā€¦. Are there more people that donā€™t understand how to crochet a pattern. I need a video otherwise I donā€™t understand it or it gets tooo complicated Im not entirety new to crochet but also not advanced please tell me other people have this problem :sweat_smile:

18 Likes

Sometimes I feel like this, but itā€™s not too bad. For tricky patterns I write down the abbreviations and make sure I know the stitches Iā€™ll need for creating it. If I donā€™t Iā€™ll learn them with a Youtube video. Sometimes patterns are worded weird so it can be super helpful using videos as a resource to follow along with and help the process.:relaxed:

9 Likes

Actually I like having a video of the pattern! It makes it so much easier to understand and how to explain a pattern better than words. I always want to add a short clip to a pattern if I write one or find them. They come in handy so much especially with crocheting and knitting.

9 Likes

I crocheted squares and rectangles for 30 years before I could figure out patterns. I just happened to find one that made sense to me. Some patterns are still hard to understand, so yeah, thereā€™s that. You could always ask the designer. Maybe @Ribblr could find a way to grade the patterns for ease of understanding for each skill level. Maybe Iā€™m asking too much? :wink:

9 Likes

If youā€™re serious about keeping crochet as a hobby, it would be well worth the cost of professional classes,
Craftsy has an excellent online class to learn how to read crochet patterns

8 Likes

Crochet is not a big thing in the Netherlands yet!:slight_smile: i wish I could take a class it sounds fun

7 Likes

Absolutely yes, especially if itā€™s an extremely abbreviated pattern, my brain gets all wonked up and itā€™s like the letters start dancing around each other. My all time favorite patterns are the ones here on Ribblr from the community, that include short videos within the pattern steps. Itā€™s the absolute best for what I call Wonky Brain. Iā€™m a visual learner with Crochet, so videos make all the difference for me!

8 Likes

Not for me for this, it was super automatic and intuitive for me - but graphs! For the life of me, I canNOT read graphs! I need to take the time to sit down and really try to learn it sometime. Does anyone else have this struggle? Not being able to read graphs - or being able to read patterns super easily but definitely not graphs?

9 Likes

Graphsā€¦:flushed: shakes fist

7 Likes

See now this one, I am the complete opposite. Patterns take brain power, but Graphs? I can read those like itā€™s first nature. Iā€™ve even jumped into designing some graphs recently, I have yet to work them up and make them into readable patterns, but the 3 I did the other night came out great so far it seems. I used to design pixel art, so this feels like touching home lol

6 Likes

Graphs are difficult for me too. I donā€™t like all that counting and recounting. Ugh!

5 Likes

Iā€™m kind of a beginner as well, and I personally find plain patterns kind of confusing too. Especially when I just started so I had to google 85% of the stitches, Watch a video on how to do them, then figure out the pattern.

8 Likes

I always had a hard time with patterns which is why I just learned to freestyle and come up with my own designs. But now I love using patterns and writing them! What worked for me was just taking the time to slow down and read each part step by step. For instance, sometimes even one row of crochet can have a lot of steps, so I have to take it one stitch at a time!

7 Likes

When I first started I used videos a LOT to help me, until I could get the ease of things down. Eventually, I weaned myself off of them, but sometimes (especially for amigurumi) it helps to see how the rounds are done (with a chain, or conversely, continuous) and oftentimes for how to embroider as that was something I didnā€™t understand how to do seeing ā€œembroider face detailsā€ left me confused.

5 Likes

Especially embroider face details! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes