Anyone else have this problem?

When I crochet with a yarn smaller than DK, my stitches become smaller as I continue to crochet. Then it’s impossible to get my stitches in.
Weird.

11 Likes

Huh maybe your tension isn’t consistent or something maybe size up your hook by .25 mm to see if that helps

8 Likes

When I first used thinner yarn I had the same problem before I realized it was because my tension was getting tighter as I worked and made the stitches smaller and tighter, it might be the same for you

8 Likes

It is same exact problem as you but why? Doesn’t matter if I change my hook anywhere from a B-E.

6 Likes

Same happens to me! I have no idea why

6 Likes

Maybe Granny or Marilyn knows.
@anon5108995
@HookedByMarilyn

6 Likes

I think it’s because of the size

5 Likes

For example is you have an 8 ply yarn with 3 ply yarn it will obviously have different size if you made a ball with the same pattern

4 Likes

Smaller stitches are caused from tighter tension on the yarn. You have to adjust how you wrap your yarn in your fingers to adjust how fast it slow it flows.
For reference, I usually(either hand) lace down between pinkie and ring finger, across two middle fingers and back up between pointer and next finger and use pointer to hold yarn out.
Sometimes I have to wrap a yarn all the way around my pinkie then through the rest of my fingers, sometimes I have to leave it under one finger instead of two,or wrap it around my pointer finger.
The point is that the smaller yarn is fitting into a fold differently than your thicker yarn and is getting pinched more and resulting in tighter stitches.
Also of note, because of the finishing/sizing on yarns, they can act differently once they are “warmed up”. Your hands will naturally put off a little heat as you work and have more movement there which can cause the yarn to have a little more or less drag as the heat is transferred to the yarn. And in knitting, this carries over to the needles as they warn up in your hands, but not as much in crochet.

8 Likes

Thank you! You understood the problem correctly. I will have to try the pinkie finger wrap or maybe use the tension regulator ring my daughter got me.
It’s just that if Inam going to use thinner yarn, it’ll be SLOWER. I’m a speed freak when making blankets using worsted weight yarn,

Thank you Mrs. Crochet Mother :wink::kissing_heart:

7 Likes

Double around your pinkie will give more tension, you want less, so in my example, you would go under one finger instead of two or skip the pinkie and start at ring finger. If you hold low I do, it’s probably getting stuck in the meaty fold creates between the fingers and palm.

7 Likes