Anyone sell on FB marketplace?

Has anyone sold on Facebook marketplace?

I don’t have time to fully prep for an in person market right now so I was hoping to sell some makes here and there online. Ribblr is my favorite place for patterns but I’m trying to get rid of some of the stash building up in my house and local just works best for me on that front. I’ve been told people (buyers and sellers) have lost a lot of trust in Etsy anyway and are running to FB because of no fees and the sale can be done local for cash so I thought I’d give it a go but what the heck category is anyone listing under? I tried arts n crafts but it’s just a million sewing machines but if I type in crochet tons of stuff comes up…but it doesn’t tell me what category they’re in. :confounded:

8 Likes

I made my first ever sells on fb marketplace. Kinda hit and miss as most people seem to want to pay as little as possible. That aside. Listed under toys and/or handmade.

8 Likes

since I don’t sell makes, I have not tried…but I have sold other things on FB marketplace, including a house. I have not had a bad experience at all and would look to them again if I have things to sell.
One suggestion (because it’s what I was told for the house) you can schedule an event on marketplace, like a yardsale or open house. So you can advertise your items for a scheduled date like you would a yardsale instead of meeting one person at a time. A mini market!

8 Likes

I sell some of my personal items on FB Marketplace, but never my work. People are offering crazy low prices and I don’t have the energy to deal with all the scammers… It’s just easier if I can invoice them through a proper platform right away and everything gets taken care of at once.

5 Likes

I tried to sell a cute crochet turtle on FB marketplace but it didn’t get any views or anything. I tried to include tags that would get it noticed but nothing. This is just my very limited experience though you may have better luck.

4 Likes

@Lefthandstitches I’m sorry, :slightly_frowning_face: it might depend a bit on where you live.

@Winternightmare hm, that’s true, I know there’s PayPal.me invoices but I think I’d only want to bother with cash.

@anon5108995 a house?? That’s daring, I’m lot sure I’d be confident enough to do something so big

@KosmicKity I didn’t even see a handmade category, I’ll have to look again​:heart:

4 Likes

it was a mobile home next door to us that our daughters lived in when they first moved out. They recently moved out of state and our son didn’t want it and I didn’t want the hassle of renting it out.
I had 11 offers and had it sold in under 24 hours for 20% over asking…definitely the easiest of all the houses we’ve sold.

3 Likes

it certainly depends on your area since it’s all local based… but I have found that presenting it as a yard sale rather than a shop seems to help for those I know that do sell stuff there

3 Likes

It has changed a lot in a year. Now i can’t add a shipping option unless i add my card to fb. Which i wont do because fb is so easily hacked

3 Likes

That is a really good idea!

3 Likes

I always use paypal to invoice customers outside of selling platforms. However, people on fb marketplace are weird. Been trying to sell my Dr Martens which are in excellent condition, almost like new, and people go and offer me like… 50% of asking price, which is absolutely ridiculous! I got people offering me 100 for my entire Lego collection :rage: people are just trying to get easy discounts on there, not many know the value of handmade products. And while that is true everywhere else, I feel like it happens less often if people are used to that platform having higher prices, high end products, etc.

To me it’s just not worth it. Plus, the algorithm is quick to take down posts if a filter catches something etc. My cousin’s gf uses it to sell her crochet, and she’s been having a hard time with the marketplace…

3 Likes

Ive listed items for sale yes but haven’t sold anything yet ive made on market place.
Anyone local pays cash if i sell anything and ship then its paypal i use.

3 Likes

@CosmikEluminatedC I suppose I might regret getting rid of my PayPal :weary:

@Winternightmare ah well I’m used to those. I even get those at in person events! :laughing:

@KosmicKity well that’s good to know, I wouldn’t want to put a card on it either. Do you know if Instagram does that as well?

@anon5108995 wow was it during covid? I know people were going nuts over any housing and offering way over during then.

2 Likes

@DovetailCrochet im not sure, i haven’t tried to sell through Instagram

2 Likes

If i could id rather use something other than paypal.
I do list my stuff on varagesale as well. Although id prefer to sell on marketplace but its weird ive had a few people say stuff about being approached by scammers… especially when they offer to e-transfer.

1 Like

Oh yeah I get those in my insta dms though already. They try to convince you to let them pay in some odd way and refuse to pay in normal ways. Just ignore those weirdos.

I’ve never heard of varagesale ill have to check it out!

1 Like

there is always Square… it’s free to set up and have and takes a ton of different payments

2 Likes

I use that just cant take debits yet need to update my scanner. I have the very first card reader im old school.

I ran my last business with all square products, so it felt natural to use it again for this.
I wish they did not have every aspect be a separate place that tends to contradict each other at times and you can get lost figuring out which place to go for which thing you need, but other than that, I have not had a complaint with the service or customer service.

2 Likes