Asking for advice - Working into starting edge

I managed to pick up another ball of this yarn and am trying to add it to the starting chain edge. Is there anything I can do to avoid those circles at the starting chain/new ball continuation edge?

The other side is a different color so I didnā€™t want to add on the ā€˜workingā€™ end. I figured if I could add on to the starting side, Iā€™d end up with like a dip dye effect on the far side of the project.

1 Like

Oh my! Iā€™ve never seen that happen before, are you doing anything different in your pattern that you may think is causing this? Different hook, accidental increases (or intentional increases) ?

1 Like

Oh, yay, Iā€™m special enough to create new and interesting mistakes! :laughing:

Nope, it is definitely the same hook; I had left it in the bag with the project. Iā€™ve been working in a SC/DC stitch pattern.

1 Like

Maybe itā€™s the way youā€™re holding the yarn, like difference in tension and stuff? I know it doesnā€™t usually happen in most projects, it probably isnā€™t the problem but just an idea?

1 Like

I donā€™t know. Iā€™ve never had it happen before either. Iā€™ve frogged and restarted a few times and those circles keep popping up.

Guess I have to learn to like them or find a way to cover them.

1 Like

Huh thatā€™s annoying!! :frowning: How are you joining the new skein/ball/cake of yarn?

1 Like

I used a slip stitch to the starting edge. Iā€™ve done it before with none of these weird circles.

Do you think a different technique would work better?

Thanks for brainstorming with me!

1 Like

Hmm thatā€™s probably not the problem, when Iā€™ve used that technique it hasnā€™t given me any problems or anything like thatā€¦ Are you sure itā€™s the same yarn, color(s) and weight as the first skein/ball/cake? I think it is just checking to see if that could be the problem? And are you doing the row with the annoying holes just like the rows before it? This must be so frustrating! Iā€™m so sorry this is happening to you :pensive:

1 Like

Same yarn brand, color, & stitches, and the same technique as before.

1 Like

Hmmm it would have to be some other thing, the only other thing I can think of right now is the way youā€™re inserting your hook into the stitches? You said youā€™re doing it the same way thoughā€¦. So itā€™s probably not that, just an idea

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m clueless.

Thank you again for helping!

1 Like

Of course! Iā€™m glad I could help you try to figure it out :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Sometimes when stuff like that happens I frog the row before the holes and make my stitches really tightā€¦ā€¦ maybe that will work? Idk mights just for for me. For me if that happens the top part of the stitch ( like the place you put your crochet hook under) is too loose for whatever reason.
Hope this helps

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how it would work in this case, since the row before the holes is the original starting chain. I started with a ball of this cream/blue/green mix then moved onto a straight green that worked with the variegated yarn. I wanted some more length, so off to the yarn store where I found another ball of the variegated. So now, Iā€™m trying to add it to the original starting chain end of the project.

If there is a way to frog that, I honestly donā€™t know it.

I definitely appreciate the help - I"m still totally clueless as to these holes. Nothing has worked so far.

I figure Iā€™m either going to to have to abandon the dip dye effect of the solid green at the end and start the new variegated ball from there (having a green middle band instead), or continue in place and either ignore the holes or put some sort of cover up over them. Not quite sure what Iā€™d use for that eitherā€¦but thereā€™s time.

1 Like

Maybe tie the new yarn onto the old yarn? Instead of a sl st

2 Likes

Well, nothing thus far has worked, so now Iā€™m going to continue to roll with it. I canā€™t seem to repeat it again to make it look more part of the pattern. I guess Iā€™ll see how it looks when I get the length I need and then decide if I want to do something to hide it or just let it be.

Iā€™ve really appreciated all the brainstorming on possibilities - thank you!

Luckily it is ā€œjustā€ a kitchen/hand towel, so no harm, no foul. With regular usage & washing they may not even be noticeable.

1 Like

Maybe when youā€™re finished you might be able to stretch it in a way that it doesnā€™t show the holes :blush: also it could become a nice little unique touch of homemade/handmade-ness to your dishcloth that youā€™ll come to love :wink:

1 Like

And then Iā€™ll go crazy trying to replicate it for a matching piece! Sounds like something Iā€™d doā€¦ :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s something Iā€™ve totally done before! :joy:

1 Like

I am amazed to see how well defined are those circles. Quite out of contest in your project, but they can work very well in another situation.

I can imagine that the stitch you are pulling on is quite loose.

2 Likes