Baby yarn

Hi all, my friend recently got pregnant and I want to crochet her little one a plushy. I myself do not have any kids, so I was wondering if theres anything I should know about making a plushy for a baby. I have already decided not to use safey eyes, just in case one pops off. Is there specific yarn I should or shouldn’t use? What about stuffing? Anything helps, thank you!

14 Likes

I was just about to warn you about safety eyes before I even finished reading your topic :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

I feel like their name is misleading. I definitely remember as a kid chewing on them :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I recently just made a plushy for my cousin who had a baby, I really made sure all the limbs were super duper secure and I put the stuffing inside some old (but clean) pantyhose that I cut and tied off to use as a liner so the stuffing doesn’t come out through the stitches and so baby doesn’t eat it. They also have soooo many nice baby yarns on the markets so it won’t be hard to find yarn. Good luck on the plushy making :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Thank you!!

7 Likes

I would steer clear of the chenille/velvet/etc yarns… 100% cotton would be my suggestion

9 Likes

You could use either a cotton or baby yarn just make sure limbs are secure and you could also double strand the yarn to make the yarn tighter. Any embroidery you could use embroidery thread as even felt eyes could come off and cause chocking.

9 Likes

remember, if you can stick a pencil between the stitches, they can get a finger in there, and if they can get a finger in there, they can get the yarn wrapped around a finger and get hurt.
all embroidery must be glued from the inside to secure knots
natural fibers may not hold up as well to the wear and tear of a baby toy and the washing it will need…man made fibers tend to be longer and less prone to breaking and fraying

5 Likes

and you want smooth yarn, anything fuzzy can shed and get inhaled

5 Likes

A coworker also just told me she is pregnant! Im thinking of making her a jellyfish (since i have heard the tentacles calm the baby as it reminds them of the umbilical cord) :slight_smile:
I will use a baby yarn and will use a no sew pattern - also no eyes, not even embroidery <3

5 Likes

make sure that none of the tentacles are more than 8 inches long!

5 Likes

Thank you for the tip!!! Really appreciated!
I Love You Hug GIF by Chubbiverse

4 Likes

Congratulations! And yes safety eyes are probably things to avoid (such a misleading name lol) since Chenille and velvet yarn sheds I would also avoid that as well, I believe I read cotton is good for babies, but in general I think searching baby yarn would be good as I’ve come across yarn in person and online that are named baby yarn and I believe it’ll be good for them. Also whether in person or online I would definitely wash the whole yarn or the project before giving it to a child as you never know who’s touched it and unfamiliar bacteria attached to isn’t something that sounds good so making sure the yarn is machine washable or at least you’re sure you’ll be able to hand wash it is a good idea :smile: especially since it’ll probably get dirty often

3 Likes

i’m not really sure, but good luck with the plushie!

4 Likes

Same! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

All of the above are really great suggestions, v and pretty much everything I was thinking of adding, so … I’m no help. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

4 Likes

Also, double check that the yarn is
[Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 Class A Certification suitable for direct contact with the most sensitive skin, even babies and small children.

They have been tested for over 350 harmful substances by independent laboratories, and certified NOT to contain harmful levels of irritants, allergens or carcinogens.

3 Likes

Oh I never knew about that! How do you tell? Is this something you need to search or would it be on the yarn label itself? For both is there a specific place to look? (A website if I need to search for it or on the yarn label is it in the front or behind it) I wanted to make some stuffed toys for my younger family members so this was some pretty good info! Thanks for this :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

The statement may or may not be on the label. The ones that ARE Okeo-Tex certified are going to brag about it though. So somewhere it’ll point that out.

Here’s a list of yarns by Premier that ARE Okeo-Tex certified.

6 Likes

I recommend bernat baby blanket yarn and avoid safety eyes. Some alternatives are felt or sewing on eyes with yarn. Avoid something super complicated and just something simple :slight_smile:

5 Likes