Beardie help

Hellooo!! I finally convinced my mom to let me get a bearded dragon which I am super excited about!! She might be paying for it honestly idek- But I was wondering if there were any bearded dragon owners here that would like to share tips and tricks? Im getting a 40 gallon even though I would get a juvenile but from what I have read they grow quickly lol.

23 Likes

Don’t kill it, I don’t have one but if I did that would be the goal

9 Likes

apparently they are hard to kill lol

8 Likes

If you have a cat make sure it can’t claw through the top of your cage!!!
I made that mistake​:sob::sob::sob:
Also make sure it can’t lift up the lid

7 Likes

Well then you should be good

6 Likes

oh! Yeah ill make sure they dont get him-

7 Likes

DON’T waste the money on a 40 gallon. Just get the 4x2x2. Realize that there will be wasted money on veggies, but offer every day anyway. And get the right light fixtures straight away. Start buying now, and once you have everything THEN buy the beardie.

6 Likes

I found a kit from my local pet store that has all the stuff needed for the dragon and the tank for cheaper than if you buy everything separately. It only comes in sizes 20gal amd 40gal.

5 Likes

Thats sorta what i did with my axolotl. I had my tank cycled and everything bought so that no matter what I wouldnt be caught off guard or be missing something. : )

7 Likes

i always thought they were cute, gl with your new lil buddy

7 Likes

From researching and joining Facebook groups for bearded dragons before getting our Nala, I’ll tell you now- those are a waste of money. Lights aren’t appropriate, size won’t last long AT all, and for everything included it’s overpriced.

6 Likes

Idk much about them but thsi could help

9 Likes

Feed it lettuce, squash, crickets (don’t start until at least a year old), and SOME meal worms. That is the diet by moms bearded dragon had- give them some climbing spaces and hides, not too too much bc they are desert animals, they need a spacey/bland terrarium. A heat light, calcium light, and maybe some calcium powder. Idk if that’s all but idk, also be careful with their tails. They often get some type of tail rot that makes them easy to break. To handle them, let them climb onto your hand, don’t pick them up by their ribs, as you may break them.

7 Likes

Make sure the basking light is a proper one with (uvB i think it is) to help maintain their skeletal structure!

8 Likes

100% follow this guy’s advice. He’s got it down and is very well respected in the exotic pet world.

8 Likes

Photo dump of my girl Nala. I researched for a month, and didn’t get her from a pet store, but from a rescue. She will be a year old in October. Don’t take them or their care lightly, they require a lot. The rescue I got her from has 20 that have been given back to pet stores due to the care they require and people not realizing it before impulse buying.

8 Likes

I have a great guy for dubia roaches, it’s good to have a colony on hand to feed. They are really easy to keep and the perfect source of food for your new DRAGON!!!

6 Likes

I don’t have a beardie, just a leopard gecko and a snake but I agree.
It’s not worth buying a tank when they’ll grow out of it in a couple months to a year (my snake of course​:sob:)
Facebook market place always has people giving away tanks for free/ extremely cheap so it’s best to look there!
It’s how I got my 120 gallon for $25 and all my smaller tanks for free

6 Likes

SO. CUTE. I’m glad you got her from a rescue instead of a pet store, a lot of the animals at pet stores are inappropriately cared for and stunted : (

5 Likes

The bat wings :face_holding_back_tears::face_holding_back_tears::face_holding_back_tears:

4 Likes