Best stitch for blanket?

Hi everybody! I just recently got 10 skeins of 354yd medium weight (4) yarn. I want to make a blanket for my dorm room and I want it to be a decent size. What stitch should I use for the blanket? I was thinking half double crochet. Any recommendations on how many to chain and how many rows to make? Thanks in advance!

6 Likes

Hi and welcome to Ribblr! You’ll totally love it here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Are you looking for it to be a throw blanket or a blanket the size of your bed/for your bed?

3 Likes

In my opinion, the moss stitch is good for blankets. But i also stitch with a tighter gauge than most. Half doubles are another good option, and you can always add texture by doing backloop only.

5 Likes

Half double crochets work and are pretty simple I haven’t experimented much so I wouldn’t know but don’t make the mistake of doing a sc blanket

4 Likes

And for rows it depends on how many chains you made, your hook size and how big you want your blanket most people just eye it out

4 Likes

A blanket for my bed! I have a full

4 Likes

I love the look of the moss or linen stitch!

4 Likes

I would suggest using half double or double crochet, moss stitch would also work good : )

3 Likes

Full size bed, I would say you want about 800 stitches across if you want it to hang down the sides.
Then you can repeat the rows until it’s where you want it.
If you want a blanket with no holes, go for HDC.
But, it will take more stitches-this will take longer to make blanket.

3 Likes

I love doing the v-stitch, waffle stitch, and granny spike stitch for blankets!! They make such pretty patterns

5 Likes