best type of yarn for pets?

Hello, hope everyone is safe and well :smiling_face: My mom wanted me to crochet a dog bed for our Shih Tzu and I was wondering if anyone else has made a pet bed for their pet and if so, what yarn/type of yarn did you use? I was considering using a chunky wool yarn, but I wasn’t sure what brand or weight. Unless there was a specific yarn for pets I wasn’t aware of

Tired Welsh Corgi GIF by Lazy Corgi

8 Likes

I made something for my cats bed and used an acrylic yarn. I would always go for an acrylic or cotton yarn (or mix of the two!) so it is easier to wash. I hope this helps :blush:

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! That was also something I was looking into, especially with the easier washing :smile:

5 Likes

Also, you may want to consider the type of stitch. SC and HDC will make a tight and dense fabric that legs can’t get through.
I would go with 100% acrylic as it is washable and less expensive,

5 Likes

That’s a good point, don’t want him to get his little legs stuck in his bed lol

3 Likes

I would NOT use wool!

4 Likes

Oh is there a reason why?

3 Likes

Well, if it’s not super wash wool, it’ll felt when wet.

3 Likes

Ooo yeah that doesn’t sound nice, I’m definitely going to make sure the yarn I choose will be able to be machine washable

3 Likes

Yeah definitely not wool. I tried once with super wash and one of my cats was ripping and tearing at it like it was prey. She had fun, but the bed didn’t look nice for very long. :melting_face:

5 Likes

I would suggest ribbon yarn. It’s best to go with something thick which no fibers comes out of, cause it can be really dangerous for pets to ingest.

4 Likes

Oh that’s a good point I don’t want them to destroy it lol

4 Likes

That’s a valid point, I never knew about ribbon yarn, I’ll definitely look into that

4 Likes

oh, i dunno, but good luck with the pet bed!!

4 Likes

Thanks for sending some good vibes! :blush:

3 Likes

actually if she makes it quite a bit bigger and felts it on purpose it would be more compact. putting a pillow case or other removable cover would be good so you don’t have to wash it. Just make sure your pet does not chew the yarn up, that could cause an intestinal blockage which means an expensive surgery. I had a ferret that I had to make his hammock out of canvas because he chewed on cloth and I didn’t want him to swallow any, :rofl: not interested in expensive bowel surgeries! The canvas was perfect, he never chewed on it.

5 Likes

That’s true lol, I love the idea of putting a pillow case over it so I can just wash that! How exactly would one felt their yarn projects? Do you happen to have any videos or sites that were helpful for you? (or just your personal experience) that could help? I was also worried he might try and chew it like a toy, but since he’s a small dog he doesn’t go after things that are bigger than him lol :rofl: also how cute! I love ferrets they look so cute I would want one but I’ll be worried about them sneaking away for a little mischief lol

5 Likes

Ferrets are nothing but mischievous! The have to be caged when you can not keep an eye on them, I’ve had one scratch the bottom cloth off under my couch and get stuck on a wire in the couch, I’ve had one sneak out the door (I had 4 children and she was just following them out the door) and luckily a neighbor found her and I got her back, (they can not survive on their own outside), my children were not happy after my talk with them, sigh. I had one find a way into the cabinets under my sink and get stuck trying to squeeze between a board and the wall, had to put child locks on the those cabinets. Had one get stuck on the prongs in the dish washer while I was loading it! Their curiosity makes cats seem uncurious. They are fun but expensive in every way and lol, labor intensive.

to felt wool you just need hot water and agitation, your washing machine would work fine :). If you search for felting wool on youtube I’m sure an abundance of videos will pop up ;).

5 Likes

Thanks! Also, thankfully your neighbor found her! My house definitely would need to be child locked and protected everywhere since I could already imagine them sneaking under and in everything

5 Likes

And…they love to get into your chest of draws and go to sleep and under piles of clothes on your floor (you have to always check and shake the clothes out before washing, they are heavy sleepers, don’t want that kind of accident! They will also fall asleep in your bed under the covers, so check before sitting on the bed. They poop in corners lol, so you have to have 1 corner litter box in every room they have access to, because, lol, they can’t hold it ;p. They will steal odds and ends things and hide them and you will find them one day and say, I wondered what happened to that, so you put everything back, and they will just steal them again lol. And for some reason, they love your dirty socks and will steal those too. They are comical, but labor intensive and expensive.

5 Likes