boxy/oversized summer top suggestions?

okay so, i love making wearables, it is probably my favorite thing to make in general right? summer is coming in, very hot and sweaty mind you, and while i love sweaters, i will literally melt if i so much as look at one. here’s the thing though, while many of the summer top patterns on here are very beautiful, i would not get any wear out of them personally, such as bralettes, or a lot of crop tops (thanks gender dysphoria :heart:). so does anybody have any recommendations for summer patterns that are boxy/oversized? i love shirts that fit like a potato sack, and are baggy so i can easily tuck them under shorts, or wear as is yknow?

10 Likes

I also like oversize tops / sweaters, even in the summer. I recommend a DK weight yarn, cotton being my favorite. Maybe some of the crop tops could be easily lengthened? I haven’t made this, but I like it.

6 Likes

thanks for the suggestion! i do love dk weight cotton yarns a lot, but of the options that i can get a hold of either split so much, or are rough feeling, maybe i’ll save up a little bit so i can splurge on some nicer onces.

6 Likes

Forthefrills has some nice boxy lightweight summer tops! I’ve made one of her ones with long sleeves but there are a couple short sleeve versions. Forthefrills website

7 Likes

Im working on this pattern right now and it seems great for layering and can be made baggy!

6 Likes

i’ve been eyeing quite a few of her patterns recently!

7 Likes

gosh i love alt knots! i’ve been considering snagging some of her patterns on here

5 Likes

same!! love her work so much! so far this one is super easy and fun! Im making it in black bc i love pride but never wear colors lmaoo

4 Likes

I like my long torso covered. I plan on making some of the tops but lengthen them. I plan on making them with Coboo yarn from Lion Brand Yarn, CottonBamboo LB Collection from Lion Brand and Whisper Lace from Universal Yarn ( for cool days as has superwash wool but superfine #1 weight).

4 Likes

If there are patterns that you love, can you adjust by either making larger size to give you oversized fit or using different size yarn than suggested? MJ’s off the hook has lots off nice designs with tutorials on youtube.

5 Likes

I feel this so much. There are so many adorable summer top patterns, but I would personally not wear many of them.

For some reason I can’t post links here, but @hollywoodwarddesigns has some summer tops (not yet on Ribblr but on other platforms) that look like they’re rather loose-fitting.

Kelly @craftandacuppa also has a cute granny square T-shirt (not yet on Ribblr, but on other platforms) that would likely be easy to make in an oversized version.

4 Likes