Category thoughts

Ok I have a question that is basically subjective… But I’m curious to the collective thoughts… I’m going to make a few polls to get your thoughts

7 Likes

Sorry I had to redo the polls as they were showing a pie chart and it was confusing

Which do you consider clothing?
  • Shawl/Stole/Wrap
  • Scarf/Cowl
  • Mitts/Gloves
  • Hat
  • Socks/Slippers

0 voters

Which do you consider accessories
  • Shawl/Stole/Wrap
  • Scarf/Cowl
  • Mitts/Gloves
  • Hat
  • Socks/Slippers

0 voters

6 Likes

Ehhh I would say all are clothing items, but like a lot are accessories as well, like aren’t most accessories a type of clothing? (Like apart from jewelry?)

Just removed vote temporarily due to my confusion XD

7 Likes

So when designing patterns, you have to pick ONE category… Which is why I wonder what everyone would clarify each… So if you were to filter for clothing, which of these would you expect to see? If you were to filter for accessories, which would you expect to see?

ETA: your confusion is exactly my reason for posting… I’m confused too and wonder which categoryeveryone would place these items

7 Likes

Oohh like that

I think I’d categorize most as clothing (though some also work as accessories I guess, usually I see clothing items that are extra/optional as accessories, like scarves/gloves because they are convenient yet not like basic clothes (shirts, pants, jackets,…)

For accessories, like that’s the category I put for my keychain type patterns, because those aren’t really toys or home stuff either, but more like bag or key accessories if that makes sense?

6 Likes

When I think accessories, specific to fiber arts, I think of earrings, bags/purses, patches, keychains.

8 Likes

Ok, so let’s try this

Hat
  • Clothing
  • Accessories

0 voters

Scarf/Cowl
  • Clothing
  • Accessories

0 voters

Shawl/Wrap/Stole
  • Clothing
  • Accessories

0 voters

Mitts/Gloves
  • Clothing
  • Accessories

0 voters

Socks
  • Clothing
  • Accessories

0 voters

Slippers
  • Clothing
  • Accessories

0 voters

5 Likes

I like that everyone fully agreed on socks haha

4 Likes

I do not consider any of those as clothing, wearables maybe, but not clothing. Most of the sites I use categorize hats, scarves, shawls, gloves ect. as accessories and socks/slippers as footwear.

4 Likes

So if only given clothing, accessories, or home, I would have said accessories for all but the socks… But when scrolling through here using the clothing filter, I saw all of the above in abundance. Hence my confusion and curiosity…

5 Likes

If I had my choice, clothing would be split up better.
The bigger the site gets, the larger the pattern library gets, the harder it’s going to be to find what you want.
It also makes it more difficult to be a responsible creator. If I can’t easily find all the current knit patterns in a particular category in the library, then I may not know that I have just released the 20th version of the exact same item instead of pushing myself to go back and try to create something a little more original.

6 Likes

I don’t disagree!
@Ribblr any plans for expansion of pattern categories?

6 Likes

Yes! I would really love to see this @Ribblr
I’ve also found it hard, like with my scarf pattern to make it clothes or accessories? I chose clothes but the pattern still needs to be finalized.

5 Likes

I totally agree with this! And I think most probably do too.

3 Likes

As you already know, we love getting feedback and we do our best to make all your wishes come true. :slight_smile:
I passed your request to the team, and we’ll try to incorporate it in one of our future feature drops.

4 Likes

I made a pattern for crochet socks but it is not public yet.

4 Likes