Colour pattern

Hey everyone!

I wanted to ask how do you decide the combination of different colours for any project you do?

I struggle to buy yarn of different colours because I dont know how it will look together. But then I see some desgins with a mix of colours that I never thought would look good but they do!

So, what is your inspiration? What do you do?

Thank you!

5 Likes

I usually pick a main color for a project, then use a color wheel to determine the best colors to accompany the main color.

6 Likes

I remember a story once about a little girl praying. She said God, I didn’t know purple and orange went together until I saw a sunset.

Not helpful, but cute.

Sometimes I like to look at other crochet projects using a couple of the colors I’m thinking of. Then, an extra might be thrown in that I wouldn’t think of.

Or, get a variegated yarn you like, and get colors that match that.

6 Likes

I think about what I’m making and then choose the best color combinations based on the project. Hope this helps

5 Likes

Think about some colours you like or colours you want to use. Take those colours and create a colour palette, this will help you imagine the colours together, most colours go together as it is. Rearrange the colours on the palette until you figure out what pattern you want to use the colours in. You can also do this right in the store (if you buy your yarn in store) pick a couple colours of yarn you like, pick a spot to set them and rearrange to how you like, this gives you even more visualization of what they’ll look like together. I struggle with thinking about what colours I want to use, I browse the yarn section and pick colours that I like, not colours I think will look good together. I hope this helps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I never know what colours will work with each other, but ever since my son worked at a paint store he’s the one that I always ask now. He’s amazing at choosing colours! :grinning: I’ve been slowly learning about colours from him. Very slowly! :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Aww that’s really cute!

I will definitely do that, many thanks :smiley:

3 Likes

That makes sense, betterto pick up colours I like than colours I think would look together!

Thanks!! :grinning:

4 Likes

Im the worst at picking colors, and are slowly learning from my mistakes…

To a beginner I rekomend the ombre effekt by gradually change color. It depends on what you are making. Stripes is always fun and I dont think there is any bad combinations there​:blush:

Have fun with it, make a few swatches.

3 Likes

You could also look at colour palette websites (the only one I can think of off the top of my head is colourlovers) or just search up palettes on Pinterest!

3 Likes