Communicating with Designers

Iā€™ve only tested a few and have some questions when it comes to communicating with the designers. For about half of the patterns Iā€™ve tested (which isnā€™t a whole lot), I will DM the designer using the message ability when testing the patterns when Iā€™m done. However, I donā€™t want to be a bother to the designers but am not sure if they would check the journal I make. While the answer may vary from different designers, how should I alert the designers, if at all, about the pattern? I always make a journal for the testing, but want to know if there are any additional things I should do . Thank you everyone, and have a splendid day.

8 Likes

As a tester, Iā€™ve always had designers either have a group chat on instagram, or send me a message privately on IG or ribblr. I always just reply to that with updates.

Iā€™m currently doing my first tester call and gave testers the option to reply to the group message I sent them or to message me privately with any questions, comments, updates, anything.

I think the best thing (if you arenā€™t told already) is to ask the specific designer at the beginning of the test how they would like you to communicate with them

6 Likes

Since designers have different preferences, I think itā€™s best to ask them directly what their expectations are :blush: I always make a group chat for my tests and encourage people to participate as much as possible! Some designers prefer to only receive notes upon completion.

6 Likes

I never think a message from a tester would be a bother, myself. The journal is a better place for the updated pictures.

7 Likes

I personally make the pattern available to all the testers. Then I usually wait and allow them to just create it in their time. I do not create group chats as some of my testers do not feel comfortable with that, and I like to keep my tester choices very wide in range. So I only really message them when it is the due date to ask how itā€™s going. I daily check my shop for any new journals, and when I do see a journal Iā€™ll immediately gift them the pattern with the note ā€œthank you for testingā€ then I remove them as a tester :slight_smile: usually it is nice to receive a message from the tester letting me know they have finished testing as I donā€™t get notified for some reason when people make journals, so I have to constantly look through and check :smile:

9 Likes

If the designer hasnt contacted me, Ialways just drop a message and can provide more photos if necessary with the pattern. I donā€™t think anyone would be unhappy with you doing so.

6 Likes

I want all the communication. I want every question, every hiccup, every typo. If you donā€™t understand it, I want to know so I can determine if itā€™s something I can help you learn or something I need to change.
I prefer dm, a group chat tends to get cluttered with side talk and I would like to explain my own pattern so i can nip a problem in the bud before anything has to be frogged because I didnā€™t see the question.
I am never bothered by testers asking me questions.

7 Likes