Crafting for Charity

Some baby hats…

14 Likes

Yeah, I get the why behind it (though not why the why is different from place to place) but since I try to limit my exposure to acrylics/plastics where I can it is a bummer as I would love to donate to those causes. But I just do where I can and that is all I can do :slight_smile:

4 Likes

And those hats are gorgeous!!

4 Likes

And that is absolutely PERFECT!! :heart:

5 Likes

Awwww thanks!

4 Likes

Because I live in the mid-west our winters get pretty darn cold and I always worry about the homeless population here. I knit hats for the shelters. Right now I’m using using a Hobby Lobby yarn because it’s fairly friendly to wash and not real expensive when they have their 40% off sales on their yarns every other week. I wish I could find a nice super wash wool that was price friendly. (I live on Social Security), because like I said it gets pretty darn cold here in the winter (over night wind chills can get down to 40 to 50 below) and wool is much warmer than acrylic.

8 Likes

God love ya, @LDSVenus! You are a rock star! I know about mighty cold winters… I lived about 30 miles east of Cleveland, in the snow belt, getting lake-effect snow every danged day, and the same storms and snowfall that upstate NY was getting. It’s brutal stuff. Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn is fabulous. I blow through tons of it. It works up really nicely, washes up well, and is soft as can be.

7 Likes

WOW! I love the color-changing ones!! It really brings out the stitches! :star_struck:

4 Likes

I donate to some local charities and Operation Gratitude

8 Likes

@Missyscraftymess WOW! Operation Gratitude is one of my favorite charities to donate to. Sent in a slew of stuff for the Clear Your Stash Challenge… ironically, I also just got off the Tuesday night Zoom call for the crafters. You should pop in and say hi, and set a spell. Zoom calls are Tuesday from 8-10 PM (Eastern Time) and Thursdays from 2-4 PM (Eastern Time). you don’t have to stay on the whole time. We’re a fun bunch! Kelly (the woman who runs Operation Gratitude’s Handmade With Love program) runs the Zoom calls. We’d love to have you join us!

6 Likes

I might have to try that out. Thanks for the info

4 Likes

Are you in the Operation Gratitude in Action FB group? If not, join in! Loads of inspiration and motivation… you will also find the links for the Zoom meetings there.

4 Likes

No but I will join

4 Likes

Looking forward to seeing you there!!

5 Likes

Oh wow! Operation Gratitude looks amazing! Do they accept handmade items? If so what types?

4 Likes

Hi @Rhonnie! OG takes all sorts… hats and scarves are where the biggest need is. The also accept paracord bracelets (they have a pattern that they use on the website and in the FB group files as well), small amigurumis (not to exceed 6" tall) handmade cards, and letters to the troops. I’ll send you the links for the website and the FB group. Our group, Operation Gratitude in Action, also has Zoom meetings twice a week where we hang out, talk about what’s going on in OG, and share what we’re working on. Our Zoom calls are on Tuesday from 8-10 PM Eastern Time, and Thursday from 2-4 PM Eastern Time. You don’t have to come all the time is you don’t want to or can’t do it, and you don’t have to stay the whole time. If you’re feeling shy, you can lurk in the background until you’re feeling up to diving on in with us! We’re a pretty fun group, and Kelly South, the coordinator for the Handmade with Love program for Operation Gratitude, runs the show. She’s amazing.

4 Likes

OH wow! That sounds wonderful!! Thanks for the links and info!

3 Likes

I knit hats for a charity in the Appalachian Mountains - mostly hats and baby/toddler blankets. I love the process of knitting but who really needs that many things taking up valuable stash space.

7 Likes

My other hobby is card making and I recently sent cards for the veterans at Fisher House to use!
A great program.

5 Likes

I donate to the domestic abuse woman’s and children’s center near where I live. I myself have been a victim of domestic violence so I feel the cause is very near and dear to my heart

6 Likes