crochet/knitting book recs!

i’m looking for some good crochet and knitting books! i’m an intermediate crocheter but a very beginner at knitting. if anyone has any pattern books for crocheting or tutorial and tips for knitting that’d be wonderful!

9 Likes

I only crochet. But someone gave me this book once thinking I did knit. It is all the same to some people :laughing:

And as you can see I wasn’t very good at it

8 Likes

7 Likes

This is the BEST amigurumi book I’ve ever come across! If you like ami and just starting the book above is the best. Also, books by Lauren Epsy would be good.
Also, someone else highly recommended Ira Rott. I bought a pattern from her and it looks great.

Ira Rott just released this book.

6 Likes

@Wanda1224 @anoswaldoddity thank you so much!

6 Likes

Books by Edie Eckman are very good for beginners.

4 Likes

I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about Knitting Without Tears, though of course it’s on the older side.

5 Likes

Are you interested in amigurumi, garments, blankets, home decor, winter accessories, purses/bags, baby clothes, slippers/shoes, ??

2 Likes

i’m interested in bags, blankets, pillows, and garments!

3 Likes

Twinkie Chan books are the best!

2 Likes

I don’t even know how to upload a photo here on Ribbļř

3 Likes

The ‘How To Knit’ book by Mollie Makes was quite good! Its got a few knitting patterns mainly for smaller projects like christmas ornaments, phonecases, pillowcases etc, but each pattern has a different technique focus which it talks you through quite nicely at the back of the book (and the instructions have pictures)
how-to-knit

4 Likes

The library is the best place. So many to choose from. I borrow alot of ebooks as it easier to have on your phone sometimes

4 Likes

Ivevhad this book for over 30 years

Its got everything from knitting, crocheting, history of both

4 Likes

I don’t know how I never saw this thread before, so I’m late to the game…
I’m the one that recommended Ira Rott… She has plenty of individual patterns (crochet, knit, and sewing), but now has 3 crochet books. They are all animal themed… Slippers, Decor (like rugs, pillows, etc), and the Blocks and Blankets book posted above… I have all 3 and they are so well written and fun.

3 Likes

this is the first i’m seeing this…
Go to the library first, then buy used for what you can’t get at the library (don’t forget about inter library loans, they will bring you a book from another library)
Sally Mellville has a series of knitting books for beginners that will help you understand knitting, not just getting through a pattern “The knitting experience”
Amy Herzog is the master of fit when it comes to knitted garments. She will help you understand how the shape of the garment effects the fit you get so you can pick better patterns based on the line drawings until you gain enough skill to alter patterns
Ann Budd has everything knitted from accessories to sweaters in a handy digest form that will get progressively more difficult through the book to help you build skills.

3 Likes

The only book I have is for amigurumi it’s called Whimsical Stitches. I have also bought patterns from Knot Monster but haven’t purchased a book yet, but it’s on my list!

2 Likes

Don’t know if you’ve read the whole thread @sarahmakinthangs but this book was pivotal in improving my ami skills! If you only buy one book, this is the one I recommend.

I bought it on Amazon.

3 Likes