Crochet Patterns Being Sold as Originals

I’m new to Ribblr and one of the first things I’ve noticed is patterns being sold as original designs that have been available for free for decades. So my question is, is it up to us to do diligent searches elsewhere before purchasing here?
I’m still getting to know this app and its fascinating!

12 Likes

You report them to Ribblr and they will investigate and if a copy they WILL pull the pattern. May pull the store.
Yes, if you could help us out with that, it would be wonderful!

7 Likes

I don’t believe they’ve stolen the pattern from anybody else. But maybe just letting the designers know that this is a free pattern all over the world especially on YouTube? Specifically, I’m talking about thermal stitch pot holders. They are free and available everywhere.

5 Likes

I think it’s a fine line
You can take 2 elements that are common and combine them into one new thing. You can come up with a new way to do something that is common. You (legally) can make a slightly different version of something that is already out there. But I agree that basic elements like ties (I cord or rows of crochet), flat circles, balls, and basic granny blocks are not patterns.
As far as original design, legally speaking, as long as yours is not a direct stitch-by-stitch, line-by-line exact copy, you are free to say that it is your pattern…even if it was not your idea… Unless the idea was trademarked or somehow licensed in some way

9 Likes

Let’s let @Ribblr triage this question ok?

6 Likes

In that case, I have a whole list of items that should not be patterns

6 Likes

So, @Ribblr, I would like to add on to this with a question about items that are simply basic elements being sold as patterns.
Like a row of dc, nothing more. A 9 stitch swatch in a square. These are how you start a pattern, not a pattern

6 Likes

I am curious to hear what Ribblr has to say. My general feeling is that we need to do our due diligence before purchasing a pattern to find out if it’s free worldwide. Still using the thermal stitch podholder as an example, there are free YouTube tutorials on that. I’ve also seen some Afghans being made with motifs that are all over YouTube. I’m not against anybody making a buck.
I’m also not against paying for a written pattern when someone has taken the time to do that with a free video tutorial. I do like a written pattern.

3 Likes

I’m not sure that example holds up, since the YouTube video is making money off of that “free” pattern by monetizing the video. To the point that they often pay for a very popular pattern then release a “tutorial” that basically gives the pattern away for free to the public, they make money from the video and the original designer gets nothing.

7 Likes

I agree that this is a tricky question… I’ve seen this same thing on other sites, not just Ribblr, so I fully understand that it happens… It is frustrating to think someone is making money off a basic “common” pattern (granny squares come to mind for me: there are hundreds of free, truly free, versions, and probably almost as many ways to do it; but yet there are paid versions available)
Like Tiphani said, if they don’t copy word for word, then there isn’t much to do about it… And unfortunately some will pay not knowing they can get it free so easily…

8 Likes

several sites require you to submit a pattern and they decide if it can be listed or not (criteria varies) and some sites have rules spelled out up front and ask you to report these, for instance, etsy will not allow you to list a pattern of a common, and widely accepted as, free item unless you can prove it’s a new and unique way to do it.
I have yet to see any such rules spelled out here.

6 Likes

Well, like Im working on a peep pattern, there are many peep patterns, what makes mine “original” or worthy of paying for? I dont think I’ve ever found a pattern of a peep constructed like mine, and ive put at least 8+ hours into development.

BUT anyone who’s taken a obviously unoriginal idea and claimed to be the “first”, like amigurumi bees, they’re EVERYWHERE! Is someone I’d report.

But for the majority they all are a bit different. I can’t speak for everyone, Im here because this seemed like the best platform to sell my patterns on…I think the majority of us know there are thousands of patterns that are seemingly identical…But whether or not the designer makes it a paid pattern is what they put into it! The idea isn’t necessarily original but their work is! It’s also not necessarily “is it free on google?” But rather is the artist someone you want to support!..Also quality is a big play! Ribblr patterns (ive noticed) are a bit more detailed than the free counterparts online…If you like the artist and the reviews are good, go for it! Maybe you dont want to buy a pattern, try to find one thats similar, but for free. But I wouldn’t encourage the mindset of assuming all artists are mere copycats just because their ideas arent original…I dont think anyone claims theirs are original either…But for people who like their work, their version is there :heartpulse:

I hope maybe this gave a slightly different perspective on the matter…But im curious what @Ribblr has to say about it

5 Likes

If you encounter patterns on Ribblr which are clearly copied from other designers, be it instructions or even cover photos, please report them to us because this is a violation of our t&c.

We don’t intervene in the pricing process of designers and believe crafters have the right to choose what to purchase.

6 Likes

pretty much what I thought they would say. You don’t have to buy it. But if someone is using a photo without permission, that is a copyright issue. A “copycat” “dupe” “inspired by” “similar to” is just a fact of life in every area of life. From grocery items to homes to cars to make-up. You can find copycats of food recipes, clothing patterns, medications, cleaning supplies. There are generic versions of everything in every store. Unless you go through the great effort, time, and expense to trademark it, it’s going to be copied at some point.

5 Likes

I like that POV. It fits in with the notion that the public will weed them out. A designer that puts out bad patterns or comes off as scammy or spammy will not get sales and they will eventually fade away. And I have patterns that are not my original ideas, but I have a new way to do it, or I have actually taken the time to make a real pattern that is detailed and easy to follow and comes in more sizes. I just put it all out there and let the customers decide if I’m worth the price of a cup of coffee

6 Likes

Thank you everyone for replying to this. I really enjoyed reading everyone’s point of view.

2 Likes