Crochet tips!

Hi everyone! I’m new to crochet and i was wondering if anyone had any tips on it?

10 Likes

Sure what would you like to know? x

3 Likes

I would recommend counting your stitches at the end of every row. It might be annoying but if something goes wrong, you’ll know that you only need to go back by one row to find the mistake.

6 Likes
  1. Embroidery

Don’t start out with safety eyes, embroider your faces on. It myght be a pain in the butt, but it will teach you houw to do it.

1. Hooks

Get a variety of hook sizes

1. Stich markers

DO NOT USE A PIECE OF SCRAP YARN
As a begginer i used to crochet the stichmarker yarn into my project and i would get so frustrated, get plastic snap markers so its much easier to see where your row starts and finishes.

4 .Dont start out with amigurumi

Start out with swatches, or little rectangles of the different stiches so you get the feel of how the stichss are formes and supposed to look.

1. Inc and Dec

This is an absolute in making amigurimi. You cant make a 3d round object with out these. To practice it, i made octos, but small ones to get a feetling of where and when to inc, or dec.

1. Written Patterns

Do not throw yourself in there with written patterns, start of with video tutorials, and then fron then, when ever you feel comfortable, you can start with **simple ** written patterns. As you get more experience, you can move up to more difficult patterns

Hope this helps!!! :heart: <3 <3 :heart:

4 Likes

Lots of people have do’s and don’ts that can make it scary to start out. My honest opinion is to start with whatever you’re interested in! If it’s amigurumi go for it! If it’s something else that’s cool too.! If you have any questions about any of this lmk! I didn’t want to go too in depth but here’s some things that stick out to me:

Video Tutorials

It’s way easier to watch someone do a specific stitch than to read how to do it. My biggest trouble starting out was the magic circle but it’s now my favorite method for a lot of projects

Stitch Abbreviations

In written patterns you’ll come across abbreviations. Some patterns will list what they mean and others won’t. Here’s some general abbreviates (US crochet)

st(s): stitch(es)

sc: single crochet

dc: double crochet

ch: chain

sl st: slip stitch

inc: increase

dec: decrease

If you find a stitch you don’t recognize just look up “crochet (abbreviation)” and it’ll tell you!

Stitch Markers

Use them!

3 Likes

Get the basics
Stitch markers
Scissors (use only for your crochet projects)
Guage ruler
Yarn needles
Stitch counter ( not a necessity but helpfu)
A note book (for making notes in)
A good range of hook sizes.
This next tip is not a necessity but I wish I’d of done this one sooner.
Make some sort of marker for projects like blankets or sweaters in case you put the WIP aside with the hook size you used. Safety pins would work with number and letter beads.
Learn basic stitches first like
Single crochet
Half double C
Double C
Treble C
Then learn new stitches as you go
Utube has tons of amazing tutorials for things like
Color changes
Amigurumi
Stitches
Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it.
Lastly find crochet friends that are supportive
And challenge yourself
Hugs
Lina

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

honestly it’s fine to start with amigurumi, I did it. it just took some integrity lol. my tip is I like to wrap my yarn from the front to the back because it makes the stitches a lot more even looking and neater. you should probably wait until you’re pretty fluent with crocheting basic stitches before trying to do that, but it helped with the neatness of my crocheting a lot

1 Like