Did you try the Firends of Pica Pau patterns?

@CraftsbyNicB
Oh as long as i have some relatives in Wien i could manage to make it through that austrian accent. sometimes i had to rewind a scene also
 and i was a bit grumpy at my hubby that i had to watch it in ‘‘german’’ with him and had some struggles. xD
My hubby came to me one day thinking he will shock my heart as he told me totally proud of himself that he found out: ‘Kindergarten’ is the same word and meaning in english. They don’t have an own word for that haha!
Me: uhum
 so tell me what’s day care standing for. and it’s with a ‘d’ in english at least garden was translated. x3
He was devastated. i felt so sorry for him but hey
 germans use english words for anything a lot now.
No problem for me cause my brain works fine with both.

Besides i am streaming in german blabbering about a crochet pattern or a special stitch and a english speaking viewer says hi in chat and asks me something in english.
If i have to switch instant my words i speak from german to english i feel like a toddler with a tantrum trying to explain the secrets of the univers with aaaahs and eeeerms.

@anoswaldoddity hihi yeah. I think nearly every language has some funny play on words jokes and such. but translating them means to destroy the fun part. :joy:

3 Likes

And often the use of words is just too settled in to change.a favorite about the Egyptian workers in Kuwait was ‘I love this or that too much’ (very much).
I think I may have tried to explain it once. :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah. Every time I FaceTime with my mom, which isn’t often enough, it takes me ten minutes to gorm a coherent sentence and I constantly search for the correct translation :woman_facepalming:t2:

My favorite one when I was visiting the last time 8 years ago was mit translation for brother in law ‘Schwiegerbruder’
My best friend just looked at me all confused :joy::joy::joy:

Tell your hubby ‘wanderlust’ is a perfect example for a German word used by English speaking folks :smiley:

And my mom and I had a blast having my husband say ‘Vogelgrippe’ over and over, cause he kept saying ‘Vögelgrippe’
He speaks a bit of German and he loves playing Papagei :joy:

3 Likes

@inkRAT That’s so cool! I love all of your stories :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@CraftsbyNicB I love your stories too lol

3 Likes

:smiley::two_hearts::kiss:

2 Likes