Do you care if patterns are tested?

even after that…
a perfect pattern can be chewed up within the ribbuild if not entered the way the program wants it. Those ribblr journals are the only assurance you get.

2 Likes

Yesss! It’s so easy to miss stuff getting unwittingly moved about in ribbuild!! I’m quite new to Ribblr and have been selling patterns on other platforms for years so hadn’t thought to add testers on here too, but def considering it now.

4 Likes

I hear you. Patterns won’t be released.

3 Likes

absolutely! Learning how to enter the patterns into the ribbuild is a whole new skill above general pattern writing!
The testing costs nothing and the input is priceless, the community is really great about helping each other out like that, there is no downside to asking.

5 Likes

or… you could just type them up and ask for testers in the community. It;s all free, they love doing it, you’ll get the proofreading and free advertising and a handful of folks will get the thrill of being the first on ribblr to see it, everyone wins

6 Likes

As long as you actually gift the final pattern. Otherwise it gets wiped from the testers and they can no longer access the pattern and get a raw deal for working hard to perfect a pattern with you only to never be able to make it again :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

that is a raw deal
especially if there were a lot of corrections to be made that the testers caught.

3 Likes

I design and sell C2C patterns. I have a few for which I haven’t yet tested myself, and for those ones I make a mock-up image. I haven’t had any issues selling C2C patterns without finished photos.

I don’t like putting my C2C patterns out for testing as they’re quite large and intricate, and I’ve had a lot of problems early on (in my pre-Ribblr days) with people abandoning the test project or taking literal years to finish. So I just make them myself one at a time.

I do spend extra time double checking the math to make sure there aren’t errors in my C2C patterns before release. I feel like the extra time I spend auditing my patterns is totally worth it knowing crocheters will be getting the best version I can offer.

Otherwise, for other types of projects/patterns I do get them tested.

4 Likes

This is exactly why I don’t want outsource testing but I also don’t want there to be errors in my patterns. But at the rate I’ve been crocheting (I haven’t), my patterns will never be released as I’ll never get around to testing them.

2 Likes

Too bad there is no better way of getting experienced testers. Other online forums do have groups specifically for testing which have set rules for both the designer and the testers to follow. I work full time and have no time to test anything especially if a deadline is asked for.

I hate it when they ask for testers but then send you to Instagram. I have an account there but have no idea as to how to use it. So that would also be a big no if Instagram use is a requirement

1 Like

Since you are referring to graphs I may have some insight. My most sold pattern is

It has no journals. Not sure why but people don’t seem to do them. Hoping that will change. Not holding my breath.

I wonder if @Ribblr could add an automatic journal that tracks the percentage done, and you would just add photos and comments. Just a thought.

I did not have my graphs tested but might be interested if people want to. But, it would be hard to hide part of the pattern so they don’t have it all at once, with the graph there. (Sorry, burnt a lot. Gonna start doing that more often.)

I made my blanket c2c into a wall hanging chart also. Just uses sc across and back instead. Makes a smaller version with less time spent. Maybe that would be an option for you for testing. You would see if the graph worked. Maybe? I love doing graph work but I am so busy myself. Maybe I can try one for you in the future if you switch it up like that.

I do agree that sometimes adding to Ribbuild doesn’t always go as planned.

Lots of thoughts. From the graph side.

Marilyn

2 Likes

just a thought, because I think I have seen it here…
can you not just release the graph and not a “pattern”?
I mean, those graphs can be used for any number of forms (tunisian, knit, c2c, tapestry) and they can just apply it to their own pattern. You could charge for the art and not go through a tester call for a whole blanket

3 Likes

That’s what mine are. Although I do have the line by line directions included also.

2 Likes

I was just thinking that if they were not one by one and only the graph, they would work for anything… Even criss stitch

4 Likes

or latch hook rugs. :wink:

2 Likes

Katy Perry Wow GIF

2 Likes

Newbie here, and do graphghans. Would it make more sense to upload the graph only versus the graph and written combo? I can do both.

ribblr requires written insructions, I believe

Thank you for your quick answer, now I just have to figure out how to do it here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

there is a tutorial prompt when you open up the option to make a new pattern… I would highly suggest it