Do you keep the things you make for yourself?

I have been crocheting seriously since August 2020 and I have not kept a single plushie for myself I have made myself some beanies but that’s about it I have probably made about 70 plushies and not 1 of them are mine :sweat_smile:
Side note: I got roving for Christmas and nothing to spin it with I got a drop spindle on Amazon today but in the meantime how should I spin it? I started a ball with the pencil method and the yarn is way too stiff.

9 Likes

Some things I love I keep like frog plushies but I usually sell most of them.

9 Likes

I’ve sold or gifted all of mine

7 Likes

I like to keep the first things I make! Like if I make something new I’ll keep the first one!

9 Likes

Same!! :blush:

6 Likes

I can’t seem to get motivated if the plushie I’m marking is for me, so I make them as gifts then usually get attached and end up keeping it haha!

9 Likes

I keep some things, but I gift and give to charity quite a bit of what I knit.

7 Likes

I’ve only been crocheting for a few months and making plushies, sooo I’m keeping them, but probably running out of storage space soon and will give away some, I did make 3 as a gift but not first try for the patterns, I get very attached to first try of each pattern :sweat_smile:

Usually I dislike to make a pattern multiple times, but if it’s for a gift then I’ll be motivated to make :blush:

6 Likes

The problem is I don’t do commissions because I unfortunately don’t have time, so I just make things that I want to which results in me hardly selling them. :sweat_smile: I’ve kept so many for myself haha.

7 Likes

I always keep the first one of anything I make, or give it to my kids! They call it my Squishy Army :joy:

7 Likes

I didn’t at first, somehow, looking back, it seemed “wrong”. I was very poor growing up, and we sewed everything because we had to, and for a purpose. That included sewing for my Dad and brothers, loads of church clothes, etc. To me? It seemed you only sewed for others. I just decided one day: I’m 50-ish, it’s about time to keep something just for me! I kept a lapghan I really liked and started using it constantly. It’s “mine”. Then I kept a Campfire Coat…best thing I could have done. I feel awesome when I wear “my” coat, and it suits me perfectly. ((Of course it does…I made it.)) Initially, I intended the coat only as a pattern example, but: it’s mine now. I threw together a dog coat that matches for my Dexter Dawg…truly the smartest thing I have ever done. I smile every time I see him and I in our “coats”.

10 Likes

I normally keep them or give them as gifts since I don’t have a shop of any sort

5 Likes

@TheWandWeaver I hear you about growing up poor. Gave me a poverty mentality! Anywho, identify with you in that getting older and allowing self to keep things I like.

5 Likes

All the projects I’ve ever made have been for others, as gifts.

3 Likes