Do Your Crochet Patterns Sell?

Hello! I’ve been using Ribblr for about a year or two now and have started posting my own simple amigurumi patterns for free. It seems to me that lots of people “purchase” my free patterns. But I’m curious… when you post patterns (for money) do they sell? How many sales average do you get for a simple amigurumi pattern? And how much do you sell them for? I’m also curious how many followers you have since I’m assuming that correlates to how many sales you receive.
I’m not doing anything super fancy with my “business” and I have a very, very small following so if you have tips for how to get out there and grow, I’d love to hear it!
Thank you so much! :smiling_face:

13 Likes

i would help, but i uh… only have free patterns rn :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

also wondering this!

5 Likes

I only started to sell on Ribblr a couple of months ago, and I get in average 1 sale per pattern :see_no_evil:. So, I’m also curious to know how to grow here :wink:

7 Likes

I dont have any patterns published but if you want a point of view as a ‘buyer’, at this moment I’m only interested in free patterns. I have only bought 3 tops when they were on discount and they cost me €1-€4 each.

Outside ribblr i bought only one top for 6€. It’s the most I consider paying now that I’m starting.

I am considering buying some amigurumis that I have seen in testing but have not been selected. I have never pay por Amigurumi begore.
I don’t know if this helps you.

8 Likes

Right now I have five pattens for sale next month I’ll have six or more. I’ve made a few sales. No it’s not generating a steady income however it is a start. I personally don’t have one free pattern at the moment not because I don’t want to treat my followers. I find other ways to do freebies. Like crochet alongs, when a pattern releases I do giveaways, or shop sales. This all mixed together helps promote you and build a consistent trust especially for repeat customers… Just do what’s authentically best for you. There’s so many ways one could use to create a space that works for freebies and paid you just really need to figure out what will work. Remember there’s enough for everyone.
I forgot to add most of my patterns are $5.55
CAD I just make sure my costs are covered plus some income. Unless fees go up I won’t likely raise my prices. My patterns are all intermediate.

10 Likes

I have only gotten 1 sale over the 4-5 months i have had patterns. I would love suggestions on how to get more sales! I am designing more patterns that are no-sew and quick, which alot of people seem to like!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say I get a ton of sales, but I do decent, enough to make me feel less guilty about buying more yarn :rofl:. Most of my sales come in on the weekend and holidays.

I would say that most of my patterns are pretty affordable for what they are, so the more complex a pattern is the more I’ll charge. Like the most expensive pattern I have is $6, but its the most advanced pattern that I have and the biggest by far. I try to not charge more than what I would be willing to pay for my pattern, and you just really have to look at yourself and decide how much of a cheapskate you are :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

I have personally never done a “sale” on any of my patterns or my whole shop (although I think I will for my birthday/ribblr anniversary) so I any unsure where this would help get your shop out there or not.

Here’s juat some general tips that I have found to be helpful:

1. Make all free patterns follower exclusive i just like the organization of having my free and paid pattern separate but it also serves the purpose of whenever you release a new pattern your followers will be notified.
  2. Have a couple of free patterns This gives potential customers an idea of how you write your patterns. I personally will never buy a pattern from someone who doesn’t have a free pattern so I can see how they write. I have once before and I just really did not care for how they wrote the pattern and it felt like a waste of money for me because it was very frustrating for me to read and understand.
  3. Put as much effort into you free patterns as you would paid patterns Like the last point some people gadge whether they would buy your patterns or not from your free patterns so don’t skimp out on them.
  4. Make unique patterns If you can easily find a free version, there’s less of a chance that someone will pay for a similar pattern. You will waste less time on patterns that might not sale well. But if you really want to make a pattern, make it. I have a pattern that I really love that hasn’t sold once, but I didn’t really expect it to as it’s kinda out of the norm.
  5. Have a cohesive shop front It gives a more professional feel and honestly I just like the look of a shop that feels like it has a direction? Like all the patterns could be completely different but there is something cohesive linking all the patterns to that shop.

Now as a buyer, I have kinda passed the point of wanting simple patterns, I personally like looking for unique patterns and just kinda want to feel amazed when I make something :sweat_smile:.

I do have a couple of simple patterns in my shop, but when I do have those, I try my best to make them “worth” being paid (at least by my definition - like I could really reverse engineer some patterns I see, so If I have a pattern I feel like I could easily make myself I try my best to add multiple variations or make it a collection of similar concepts - examples: sitting zoo (12 animals) and nutty buddies (6 buddies)).

8 Likes

Thanks! That does help a little!

1 Like

Ok! That helps! Thank you

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for all the info! :smile:

3 Likes

I don’t have the account that Ribblr needs so I don’t buy or sell, but I am planning on getting it set up some time in the future. As a buyer, I don’t plan on buying patterns that are more than $5. I think that patterns should be priced lower. When I do sell patterns, I would price them at 2 or $3, so that there are more sales. Not really sure if this helps but basically what i’m trying to say is that I wouldn’t buy patterns for more than $5 and you would probably have more sales if you had low prices. Really for me it’s just the excitement of having a purchase, not really to pay bills or anything.

2 Likes

That makes sense!

2 Likes