Dollar Tree Yarn

so apparently my local dollar tree has changed up their craft section and now carries a little yarn. just some basic worsted weight in tiny skeins. considering getting some basic colors to beef up my stash. anyone have any decent experience with the quality of this yarn?

7 Likes

I found the quality to be amazing (I bought and used the Premier Just Worsted brand)! The Crafter’s Square brand is rough and not nearly as soft as the Premier Just Worsted.

7 Likes

I used the premier cotton for my daughter’s bucket hat and found it acceptable… Wouldn’t say my faborite yarn, but good enough for a baby (so definitely not the worst out there)

7 Likes

I would t recommend it because it costs 1.25 for only 50 grams. At Joan’s you can get a lot more yarn for way cheaper. The quality also isn’t that good so don’t recommend. Price and quality aren’t good.

5 Likes

In my experience it works up a lot smaller than other brands of worsted weight yarn. I crochet quite tightly though, and found it to be more expensive than just buying a value skein of craft smart at Michael’s ($4 for 352 yards in my local store), or even a red heart super saver. It’s great to use for smaller projects, but definitely look at cost per yard/gram.

Also, I don’t know about your DT store, but mine never seems to have the same colors consistently. So if you needed more of a color they don’t have one week, you’ll run into the issue of not only matching color, but consistency in yarn size.

5 Likes

So my whole thought on using it to beef up my stash was because my local craft store is not so local, the closest 2 are an hour away. cost wise once you factor in cost of gas (even before it started going up) would actually come out cheaper.

4 Likes

Gas is insane and I totally forgot to include it in price. :grimacing:. Factoring that in, it’s definitely cheaper if you don’t have another two craft stores within 10 miles like I do.

Definitely keep an eye on Joann’s website too though! They’re constantly offering a code for $2.00 shipping. I don’t know about their shipping speed though. Anytime I’m on that side of town I’ll do a curbside pickup. (I can’t be trusted in the store hahaha)

5 Likes

I’m the same way :rofl: I love the curbside pickup option - you get what you want minus the shipping cost!! :two_hearts:

4 Likes

I agree, stay away from Crafters

5 Likes

I think what is cost effective depends on what you want to accomplish. Not everyone can afford 364 pounds!!! , i mean yards, of a yarn color for everything they crochet. Sometimes, you only need a few yards. Buying in large amounts is the least expensive way per yard/ at least most of the time. Then, there’s storage.
Getting smaller amounts, while more expensive per yard, can be better for you if you don’t have a large cash outlay. And if it’s a difference between eating/shelter and yarn.

4 Likes

the quality is actually pretty good! ive used it for fingerless gloves etc and its really soft!

5 Likes

The “closest” yarn store to me is Michael’s and it’s a four hour round trip to go there. Needless to say, my yarn shopping is done online.

5 Likes