First Crochet Help

UPDATE! It is 4 ply and im in Australia.

Hi!

So I havent started crochet yet but i have an idea of making a bunch of plain granny squares then using a needle sew them together to make a blanket.

Im using 50g yarn and dont know what hook to use (i dont know what a chain is so im pretty even).

Will it work?

Thank you! From @SquishmallowsJJ

6 Likes

I went on YouTube and learnt a lot on there give that ago!

4 Likes

You will need a lot more than 50 grams to make a blanket! If you don’t want to spend a lot on yarn you can go to the dollar tree and get a lot of small skeins or buy a few of the 1 lb skeins from Joann’s

7 Likes

On the back of the label, there should be a number, a lot of the time, it’s a number on a drawing of a skein of yarn. That tells you the yarn weight, some brands even tell you the hook size recommended next to that! For worsted (4), I would typically use 5mm-5.5mm, for DK (3) I’d use a 4mm, etc. There are some charts on the web very useful for that, with all the sizes people usually use!

6 Likes

The hook size depends on the thickness of the yarn-generally speaking.
You tube has tons of videos you can look at

Some geared towards beginners

Moogly
BHooked
comes to mind right off the bat.

4 Likes

If there’s someone you know who crochets, maybe they can help teach you : ) YouTube is also a great resource! :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Just find something affordable for your first project :relaxed: Any acrylic should work :grin:

5 Likes

It depends. If it’s for an adult, 1000gr would be great I think.

5 Likes

If you’re just starting, that’s kind of thin. Give it a whirl anyway. You’ll learn.

5 Likes

Ok Thanks!

4 Likes

You can start with that and get more as needed :blush:

4 Likes

Ok

5 Likes

I looked up yarns in Australia. A good starting yarn would be acrylic ( least expensive to learn on) and either 8 ply or 10 ply.
8 ply needs F/3.75mm hook but a G/4mm hook would work too .
10 ply needs G/4mm hook but a H/5mm hook would work too.
Hope this helps you get started.
The advantage of the above sizes of yarn is that you can identify your stitches easier than with thinner yarns (<8 ply).

@JorjaAndHerGeckos

3 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

Hey! I’m in Australia also & I highly recommend Spotlight’s ‘Marvel 4 Seasons 8 Ply yarn’ for blankets & granny squares!!! It goes on sale for $2-$2.80 really often, each skein is 100g & there’s so many colour options! I’ve used it for multiple blankets so far & they’ve all turned out lovely :blush:

Also I’d recommend using a 4mm hook!

7 Likes

I use 8 ply wool and a 4mm hook
Most of my wool comes from cheep shops, like the reject shop. But I bought when I was further out west in QLD when I bought from a store, possibly dollars and Sence. I can’t remember what the shop was called and they had a deal for 5 balls for $10, which is pretty good value. I got like 20 balls of wool and it had to somehow fit into our caravan. It sat at the end of my bed. LOL :laughing:

4 Likes

3 Likes