garment making suggestions

hi y’all! what are your favorite yarns for making garments? any weight is fine, I’m not looking for something for a specific pattern; just wondering what yarns are good for garments. I tend to favor made to measure patterns anyways. I want something that’ll be durable and hold up to washing. I think Lion’s Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling looks like a good one due to the anti-pilling effect and I currently have wearable wips using Big Twist Living and Pound of Love but Idk I get nervous when it comes to garments.

6 Likes

I recently started knitting a sweater yesterday. I wish I got anti-peeling yarn before starting! Its annoying when you get a littke piece of the yarn showing in the stitch, and I have to fix it or else it bothers me! If you’re making a garment in crochet or knit I really reccomend using anti-peeling yarn and make sure its soft.

3 Likes

No worries I get nervous with it too! I highly recommend machine washable yarn! Since It’ll be worn it’ll need to be washed often and I don’t have a lot of time in my day to be hand washing them, I know cotton is pretty good for garments and I would also recommend going in store to feel the yarn as you wouldn’t want to buy a lot of yarn online only for it to be rough/scratchy on your skin since whats soft to others might not be soft to you, also consider looking at yarn that is Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 certified. Anti-pilling yarn is also good to consider

Also when machine washing crochet/knit I hear putting them in a pillow case or a laundry mesh bag thing is something to consider

Also pay attention to the lot the yarn comes in! They may be the same name color but if they’re from a different lot they may vary slightly, not a big deal breaker but I know some could be noticably different and that might be a deal breaker for some

1 Like

If youre making something for summer id recommend cotton yarn! As it is light weight & washes up easily for garments.

Now, you can make garments with acrylic yarn! I have before :slight_smile: but, acrylic is a little bit heavier & hotter. But hey if youre looking into a fall garment carring it out into winter then acrylic will be good !

I also recommened blocking your work ! & handwashing. Even though some yarns say machine wash, I dont trust it to not stretch your work all out of wack.

3 Likes

Ahh thank you! Many things to consider haha. I’ve heard some people say they don’t recommend washing hand crocheted garments even if the yarn says it’s okay but I wonder if that’s mostly for things like wool where you’d have to re-block it

2 Likes

I don’t really make summer garments much so I’ll probably go for acrylic but I’ll keep that in mind if I ever want to make something cooler! Do you think it’s okay to machine wash acrylic or would that get stretched weirdly too?

3 Likes

I wouldnt recommended it . But if you hate hand washing , you could always just wear the garment a couple times then hand wash.

Machine washing handmade clothes to me , its just risky

2 Likes

I wonder too lol that’s where I heard putting them in laundry mesh bags or pillowcases come into place since they won’t be moving and jumbled all around but they’ll still get clean since it’s a laundry mesh bag, you can always make a swatch with the yarn you’re planning to use for the project and use it into the washer to se how it reacts as some fibers can shrink :smile:

3 Likes

Thats what I do when washing my amigurumi

2 Likes

I wash my amigurumi (Acrylic) in a pillow case but you have to tie of the end. It doesnt stretch it out or anything, but it makes them smell so good! I do recommend putting a little bit of detetgent, too much will make it weird feeling.

2 Likes

I made sweaters out of cotton, 4 weight. The style was pretty holey so that helped. I made one with Caron Simply Soft that I love. A lot say to use a DK weight, so it isn’t so heavy. I agree with the hand wash and lay flat to dry.

2 Likes

ahh yeah a swatch is a good idea!

1 Like

thank you, that’s really helpful!

1 Like

I didn’t know you could machine wash amigurumi omg that’s so cool

2 Likes

Yeah, when you dry it you HAVE to put on LOW heat. But yeah, you just put a little bit of detergent and put in a pillow case.

2 Likes