Happy hogmanay

Today in Scotland, we celebrate Hogmanay.
The last day of the year.
Hope 2022 has been good to all and 2023 is kinder still.

(I wanted to include facts about hogmanay in Scotland but I’m not allowed to share that link so you’ll have to google it I guess)

images (10)

17 Likes

Happy Hogmanay to you!

10 Likes

Happy Hogmanay :heavy_heart_exclamation::partying_face: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :green_heart: :rabbit:

11 Likes

Gaelic Happy New Year

8 Likes

Happy Hogmanay!! :partying_face::tada::tada:

7 Likes

Happy Hogmanay! I’d also like to say how much i STINKIN LOVE UR PROFILE PICTURE

8 Likes

Aww thanks so much, it was made by my younger sibling, @kaimactrash on instagram :green_heart:

6 Likes

Well Happy Hogmanay to you then
(And you can now share links, since your member level was fixed :partying_face:)

7 Likes

Happy Hogmanay to you! :partying_face:

6 Likes

Happy Hogmanay :tada::smile:

6 Likes

Isn’t this Ribblr community so cool? Like someone in Scotland can share their traditions, and me, someone in the USA, gets to learn about it and share my opinions. I love how positive this platform is.

6 Likes

Very helpful. :blush:

6 Likes

Its so cool.
I spent most my life not realising hogmanay was a Scottish based celebration. I love to learn haha

5 Likes

Do you know why it’s on New Years? I looked up the history but don’t know if it’s accurate.

5 Likes

Its on new years eve to celebrate the whole year and coming of the new year, I think.

Its an old viking tradition linked to the winter solstice, that they brought with them when invading/settling. I think we added the Ceilidh (pronounced kay-lee a gaelic dance event)and the gifting alcohol as the “first-footer”.

For a tiny country, we have a lot of variation on how its celebrated depending on where in Scotland you are.

5 Likes

I read that in the 1600s, people were banned from celebrating Christmas. So the Scottish people celebrated on New Years with a party, exchange of presents, and so on.

5 Likes

I’m not sure about Christmas being banned, I think it was just encouraged more to celebrate the hogmanay holiday more in the reform away from the catholic church.
There may be bits I’m missing, I’m no expert.

4 Likes