help - different sized squares

i’m making granny squares- some colors and some all white.
it’s all the same brand of yarn- but the white ones feel thicker and the first one has turned out a little bigger than the colored ones… any advice??

6 Likes

the colored ones feel light and comfy but the whites ones feel like thicker and harder….

3 Likes

you mentioned they are the same brand yarn, are they the same weight of yarn?
are they two different types of yarn in the same brand?
A lot of times a multi-colored or special yarn can be a little lighter in weight than it’s solid counterpart. There is a lot of room between a thin #4 and a thick #4 and one of the reasons they have so many different names for them.

4 Likes

if the yarns are two different sizes, your only solution is to use a smaller gauge on the thicker yarn to get the same size square…but it will not be the same texture…or use a different pattern that is the same size as your colored squares but a larger gauge

3 Likes

I had the same issue with Red Heart Super Saver black and white. So frustrating, I quit making the chess set. I will change colors paying more attention to the thicknesses, and try again.

5 Likes

thanks!
the white i had opened i didn’t havw the packaging- but the new white yarn is definitely the same size.
i’ll probably just work on my gauge and see where that takes me-
these are new to me and i def don’t wanna have this be a DNF project because i’m already pretty far into it-
worse case scenario i get more yarn and make them all colored if i hate the white ones haha

2 Likes

ahh yeah!! it’s frustrating but i really don’t wanna have this be a DNF haha

2 Likes

Make 2, one thicker, one thinner. :wink:

2 Likes

A lot of the times some colors have a slightly different weight within the same line. I’ve noticed this to be very much the case with Hobbii Megaball. The colors are so thin and fluffy, and the black is very thick and hard. It always looks a little weird when assembling. And the red especially, is a lot thinner than other colors for some reason. Maybe I got a bad batch of red or something.

3 Likes

Ive had the same issue with redheart a few times. Dye issues too with other manufacturers.

Can you double up strands on the thinner ones? Would that even help or would it over thicken.

2 Likes

my issue is i already made all the colored ones pretty much ahahah :,)))

2 Likes

ahh… it’s interesting to see how common this problem is! i will probably jsut keep working and see how a few more turn out and how they look with the colored one and then make a decision from there

2 Likes