Help! I made a mistake and i can't find it!!

Hello!
Haven’t been here for a while due to some really bad health problems one of them being hand pain
So these days i got back into knitting and crocheting and I’ve been making small stuff
I made this heart pattern that i wanna post for free because why not:

I didnt add the first row because that’s where i casted on and the last row because that’s where i casted off
And i made one piece, right?

I added on the side slip stitches for a nice border and crocheted 1 row around the whole square (which is not represented in the pattern yet)
At the lower part, the first row of V’s that’s visible is the Long Tail Cast on that i used.

So this one looks right and i kept checking and it was ok (after some frogging lmao)
Well i got more confident on the second one and i f-ed up somewhere

(Nr on the right means knitted, on the left purled row)
So to understand, the 5th row is the beginning of the heart, it was supposed to be knitted. I made that right.
The 26th row is the the 1st row of the widest part of the heart, before the splitting. It was supposed to be purled, i knitted it and i just realised.
I’ve checked all i knew, the number of stitches of rows and if the rows are knitted or purled
By counting both are right and yet are different i’m so confused help!

5 Likes

I’m not sure what you are asking, and I can’t be sure what the mistake is without seeing the other side, but from what is here, it looks like you just worked one row the wrong way and will need to either frog back to it, (suggested) or try fixing it one stitch at a time as you work back over it (not suggested)
Stitch counts and row counts do not help with pattern mistakes

3 Likes

This is the other side:

I don’t understand how they can be the same and different at the same time :skull:

1 Like

because you didn’t knit where you were supposed to purl… that would be OBVIOUS on the knit side… what you did was twist your stitches and caused an extra space in your purl rows

4 Likes

you have a TON of twisted stitches in there
you can knit in either the front or back of a stitch, same for purl… the direction of your stitch will depend on whatthe stitch was and how it was wrapped on the previous row. Simply put… when you look at the stitch on the needle, you want it to be open like a staple and not closed at the bottom, When it’s open at the bottom, one side of that stitch will be first and the other side will follow. That first “leg” will either be in the front or the back of the needle. That is what determines if you work in the front or back and until you learn to adjust for thoses differences, you will have twisted stitches.

4 Likes

Oh wait really?? I thought i was doing it right xD
I watched a tutorial on youtube to learn knitting and purling and then another one to learn to alternate between them (and for long tail cast on and also for the slip at the edges method lmao)
I’ll look up twited stitches on yt (i have to see them to understand) and how to avoid them
Thank you!!!:purple_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

Watch very pink knits, she will show you how to tell what you need instead of telling you you are doing it “the wrong way”

3 Likes

I forgot to reply yesterday sowy
So i looked it up and i think i know the problem is
After the long tail cast on, i knit, which makes them twisted, good to know
But i like the texture tbh
Plus i already have one so lets make them the same

1 Like

after the long tail cast on you knit which makes them twisted…
again, that depend on how you wound the yarn. You may be like me and not go the same direction every time because you forget between different types of projects. So sometimes you may knit and sometimes you may purl there is no rule for that
what I was saying is that you have random rows of twisted stitches all through your work, the whole thing, and that has nothing to do with your cast on. That is knitting or purling into the “wrong leg” of your stitch…here is a bad illustration of what I mean

4 Likes

Omg i understand!!
My problem was the purl side!! I purl through the front loop instead of the back! That’s what’s giving pnly the random rows of twisted instead of all the rows twisted or not twisted!
You are amazing on this one! I frigged the whole thing yesterday tho

1 Like

the direction your yarn is wound when making a stitch will determine which way your stitch sits. So if you always wind one way, then you always follow one rule, but then you run into trouble when you change it for some reason… like if you are knitting on top of a purl or vise-versa, the stitch below is sitting in a different direction. It’s the reason you have to do so much maneuvering in decreases… so that all the stitches are sitting the right way to work in the correct direction so that they lean left or right properly.

3 Likes

A million years ago, I was taught knitting by reading the fabric.
The rules are:
Knitting works the yarn in back, purling works the yarn in front.
Work the leg of the stitch that is first on your needle.
A knit stitch moves the needle point left to right, a purl moves the needle point from right to left.
A decrease will lean the direction your needle points when making it, so turn your stitches if needed.

3 Likes

Omg i noticed these and i wasnt sure if i was imagining it​:joy:
Thank you dooo much!!:purple_heart: