help with hdc ribbing

hiii I feel like all I do here is ask for help so I am sorry :joy::joy: it’s just exciting to have a space for that!
but uhh I’m working on a pattern that uses half double crochet in the BLO to make ribbing and I keep getting these loops/holes on the sides. anyone know what’s causing that and how to avoid it?

12 Likes

I think it might be your intention. Ive had gaps like this before.

Are you chaining 1 at the end of each row?

6 Likes

Maybe make sure you chain 1 at the end of each round

7 Likes

I think that might just be how its supposed to look.

6 Likes

Hey! So a couple of thoughts! Firstly never apologize for asking for help, this is what this community is for!!! I find that this is very common, as a couple of people have already said tension specifically tighter tension, and chaining one at the begining of each round will help minimize that look. I find the bigger the hook I use or the looser my tension the more obvious those holes are. So I often go down a hook size by half or even a whole size down. Adjusting tension often is a little more challenging but with time you can adjust that, it just takes some extra thought! Just my preference! But yes it is somewhat normal! Hope this helps a little!

Don’t panic, and I hope your project goes wonderfully! <3

7 Likes

yes I’m chaining 1, is that bad?

3 Likes

ahh thank you, you’re so sweet! I am chaining 1 at the end of each round but the pattern specifically said the tension should be really loose so the fabric is like softer and more flexible, so I guess it’s unavoidable? I was thinking I could do a row of sc or something across the whole thing once it’s done to hide the loops but Idk

4 Likes

The community was actually supposed to be more of a space for asking questions, lending advice, and sharing makes, tests, releases, etc. So you have definitely come to the right place! And please never feel bad about asking for help. Most of the people who are doing crafts love to pass on their knowledge. :hugs::hugs:

For your question, I agree with the above advice, but also as someone who has years of practice and control over my tension I always work both loops of the first and last stitch. Some will only do both loops of the first or last stitch, but I like to do it in both.

5 Likes

Yes youre doing everything correct. I honestly think it look good. If youd like to do sc at the end when finished thats fine too, but its gonna give a more raised look. I would do slipstitch instead :slight_smile: but dont stress out! Im sure this project is going to turn out so cute!

5 Likes

I forgot to mention the reason for the holes is that blo and flo does tend to stretch that loop (pulling the extra from the unworked loop). In the middle of the row it isn’t as noticeable because of the other stitches around it, but the end stitches only have one stitch giving it tension…
This is why I suggest/ do both loops at the ends. It’ll still be stretchy (especially hdc)

6 Likes

Yes @puddlesofcreation i think this is a better idea! When you have enough rows for your project. On the last row crochet hdc through both stitches

5 Likes

It doesnt look bad, or like your doing anything wrong. Maybe, hdc through both loops once you get your desired length.

4 Likes

ohh interesting, I think I’ll give that a try! thank you very much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

hmmm but do I want to undo what I’ve already done to redo it that way…maybe I should because it’ll look better but. I am lazy so idk :joy:

5 Likes

Fair point and I understand that one hehe

3 Likes

@puddlesofcreation Honestly either way your work will be great! It looks great now, it’ll look great if you redo it! And yes chaining one at the begining of each row of ribbing is a good thing!

3 Likes

thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I rly don’t wanna redo it tbh :joy: but I’m making a sweater and compared to the work it takes to make a whole sweater I know this isn’t much and I am a slight perfectionist so Idk. I might just leave it honestly. one side will be covered where it attaches to the sweater so it won’t be that bad

2 Likes

OOH wait I have an idea…I think what I’ll do is start using both loops on the first and last stitches now, without frogging, and just see if I can put this little section in the back or the side or something

1 Like

I completely understand! As a perfectionist myself I’ve frogged so many projects! All of which I really didn’t want to redo but my brain told me I had to! lol

3 Likes

omg yes I was making a cabled cardigan once and half finished the first panel and then I ended up frogging and redoing the whole thing :sob::sob:

2 Likes