Help with tapestry crochet

Hi hi! I’m looking for advice/tips from anyone who is good with tapestry crochet :yarn:

I used stitch fiddle to graph a design for this piece I’m making (it’s a gift for my parents wedding anniversary) and was just wondering if there’s any methods to get cleaner colour changes? This is my first time doing a larger tapestry crochet project and I like how it’s turned out but find that when I work colour changes on the wrong side it ends up looking weird on the other side? I’ve been using single crochets instead of HDC because it matches the scale of the colour graph I did. Any help is much appreciated :white_heart::white_heart::white_heart:

15 Likes

I think it looks great. When I tuck in the ends, I kinda fill in where it needs it. Is there something more specific you were asking?

6 Likes

Glad you answered cuz I haven’t tried tapestry crochet yet.

5 Likes

This was an interesting read that might be helpful.

8 Likes

Aaaa!! Ty so much for the resources! I think I’m not used to the way that colour changing on one side looks way different than the other side and that really throws me off, I think I forget that crochet stitches are necessarily perfect squares :joy: I will read through that however and will def share more updates and pics

5 Likes

I thought it was interesting when they said to use our opposite hand to do the row back. hahahaha That would be funny.

6 Likes

Haha :joy: I honestly had to read that bit three times over cause I thought they were joking, I’ve never tried crocheting with my opposite hand but it’s worth a try even if it’s just for fun!

6 Likes

Oh my gosh, I love this! And I think you did a great job!

3 Likes

I didn’t open all the links, but the simplest and easiest way to make a perfect crochet color change stitch is to work your stitch to the final pull through and then switch colors for the final pull
Example, colorA, yo , pull up loop, yo and pull through 2 loops on hook, change to color B, yo and pull through 2 loops on hook
This leaves a finished stitch in color A, with color A on the top of that stitch and color B ready to make the next stitch. If you complete your stitch then change color, you get a small dash of color A at the top of the next color B stitch

4 Likes

Yep, I found this works best!

4 Likes

Me three!

4 Likes

Me four! I’ve tried so many ways and I’ve found this is the best for me!! <3

4 Likes