Hey everyone!

Hi! I’m new to crocheting and have a hard time making cardigans and sweaters do any of you have tips?

12 Likes

id reccomend making a smaller project first to build your confidence and knowledge of how patterns work etc :blush:

11 Likes

I suggest starting small and building up your skills before you move onto a sweater. I also suggest trying to do a patchwork sweater/cardigan. All you need to know is how to make a square (or granny square) and ribbing. Then you sew it all together and voila! A sweater :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I would start small as suggested above. Or you could just jump in and try it. That’s what I did. I would suggested making swatches of different textured stitches so your familiar with the flow. If you choose to dive in look for free patterns so you can at least try them out.
Hope this helps :purple_heart:

10 Likes

Check out @poppysmicks Sparrow Sweater if you’re looking for a pattern- very simple and the design is so cute!

11 Likes

Hey it kind of depends on what tips you need exactly but so far I agree with what most people shared. Try making smth simple first, I.e. basic stitches, no mosaic etc. I really like clothing made from Granny Squares too. The granny stitch is easy and you get to practice a lot.
I personally also like yt videos better than written patterns since I can follow along and see what’s happening. I like that function about ribblr, too! But with videos you get to see the exact project and with ribblr the tutorial videos are more general.
But if you have questions let me know

10 Likes

Ok thankyou!

8 Likes

Ohh I’ll check it out thankyou!

7 Likes

Of course- glad I could help! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Aww thank you for sharing! :two_hearts:

4 Likes

I always say that you should always start with something that teaches skills you will need. If you want to do sweaters, then you need to find teaching swatches that will show you the shaping skill you would need. I know it’s been a while since I’ve done anything with crochet, but they must still exist same as knitting.
It would also be helpful to study up a little on general clothing construction and how all the parts are made and fit together so that you have a rough idea of the shape you are trying to make. Sounds obvious, but you’d be surprised at the difference it makes

5 Likes

4 Likes

I recommend finding a cardigan or sweater pattern with separate panels that you sew together, that way you don’t have to worry about increasing and decreasing so much, and if you mess up on one panel you can frog it and redo that panel, not the whole sweater or cardigan! For me when I first started out I would follow a pattern with a YouTube tutorial so I could look and see exactly how the steps on the pattern would look as I went along, and if I got confused with what the pattern said I could reference the video to see exactly how that step was done. Watching the videos that went along with the written pattern also helped with my pattern reading skills! Hope this helps!!
:grin::frog:

4 Likes

Also, working with bigger yarn and hooks, and yarn that isn’t fuzzy will help some, as well as larger stitches like half-double or double crochet, so you won’t have as much work to do.
:grin::frog:
This is one of my favorite yarns to work with, it’s super soft, and doesn’t split very easily, I use a 7mm hook with it but you could use bigger!

https://joann.app.link/NGBzy7sR8sb)
4 Likes

Of course!! I love the sweater pattern and its designer so much :heartpulse:

2 Likes