Hoping for the best…

Hello! First time posting.

I have a question for the more experienced crocheters out there, or anyone with a mind to help me…

Can you wash a finished product? I recently made a cow plushie and under unimportant circumstances it needed to be washed. I would be less worried if this was a scarf or a sweater, but it is an already crocheted, stuffed, and sewed cow. Wondering for future reference because I already did it… (by hand)

10 Likes

It depends on the yarn you used, did you keep the skein label?

7 Likes

Yes, it was cotton XXL in white from Yarn Bee and other colors

6 Likes

Somewhere on the label it should say whether it can machine washed or by hand and if it should air dry, etc if it is washable I would probably put it in a pillow case or laundry bag or something similar and tie it and wash it if possible

9 Likes

Ahh, I will check. Thanks!

6 Likes

if it absolutely needs a total wash, the best thing you can do is to soak it in a weak solution suitable for the yarn content until the dirt looks to be mostly removed then put it inside a pillowcase and wash it on the gentle cycle .
If it contains wool or any paper or wire supports, you would better off spot cleaning it like you would upholstery

8 Likes

I Will make sure to keep that in mind for the future! Thanks!

5 Likes

plain cotton, nylon, and acrylic can all be washed, most plant fibers are fine, cellulose and proteins you need to be careful and look it up (silk, milk, bamboo), animal fibers are never washable unless otherwise stated.

8 Likes

:+1:

4 Likes

The main thing I’d be worried about is the stuffing in the middle. When washed it can deform and sometimes doesn’t dry properly (depending how much you’ve put in)
You can’t put a lot of yarns in a tumble dryer because of the heat. So it would have to air dry which can take ages

3 Likes

I considered the drying and decided that air dry would probably be best. It turned out perfectly fine though it was quite difficult to find what position to dry a cow :laughing:

3 Likes

I’m fairly certain that household dryers do not get hot enough to harm washable yarn… And there are multiple settings to control the heat all the way down to “fluff”. Which is no heat. Air drying a large stuffed item is asking for mold

3 Likes

Fair. So many things to consider!

3 Likes

The safest way to dry in the dryer without tumbling is to leave it in the pillowcase but open the top out flat and close it into the top of the door of the dryer so that it hangs inside against the door instead of in the drum. Flip it around every 15-20 and rotate it inside the bag. That way all sides get air and water won’t pool at the lowest points

5 Likes

That’s an excellent idea!

3 Likes