How can I get more sales on my patterns?

Hey guys! I wanted to make this post to ask if anyone has any advice on how to get sales for your patterns on ribblr. Im new to selling and would appreciate anyone’s thoughts/advice. So I’ve had a pattern listed on my shop for almost a month now and it literally has 0 sales. Not a single person bought it. But the weirdest thing is that it says the pattern is in 180 people’s wishlists. I can’t comprehend how it would be possible that 180 people like it enough to put it in their wishlists but not a single person out of that group chose to buy it??? I have it listed for $8 because it took me a really long time to design but I had a shop sale running which made the pattern $6 and still no sales. Is it the price? Is it the pictures or title or description? Is it my shop itself? any advice on this will be super helpful :grin:

EDIT: I’ve taken all of the advice that was given on this post like making the pattern cheaper, adding a shop banner and bio, and i’m going to start working on a smaller free pattern. Thank you to everyone who replied and gave me advice, i really appreciate it :heartpulse:

26 Likes

it’s really cute so i just went to take a look! it’s slightly pricey for me, and the description seems to suggest it uses some more complex stitches (i personally am not familar with tapesty crochet either so it’s a more expensive gamble to take in case i can’t make it work)

i think it may also be the platform! generally i tend to see more lower-priced / free amigurumi items on here, and there’s quite a handful of younger users who aren’t able to buy patterns. on other sites i’ve seen they seem more apparel / bag focused and generally pricing is higher there as well.

the photos are clear and well taken to me! so no issues there

9 Likes

I love the bag !
I think it’s common to have a lot of wishlists but not much sales, I have a pattern with the same amount of wishlists and that never sold or maybe once.
Maybe you can try different platforms to sell your pattern. You could also advertise it on social media.

3 Likes

I don’t even keep a wishlist. If I want a pattern I buy it, because I don’t know if I can find it again if I opt to wait

4 Likes

Its $11 for me in Canadian currency, just took a look at your page

3 Likes

One of the prior posters had a valid point

A lot of our members are pre teens / teens and can’t buy patterns. For some of them their parent/guardian won’t let them and perhaps they are in a country Stripe doesn’t work in

It might help if you’d add one or more free patterns, so people could try so they were comfortable with your pattern writing style so maybe they would be willing to buy one of the paid ones. Perhaps having another pattern or two for $5 USD would also help. Or a couple priced at $2 or $3

5 Likes

Hi! Maybe setting up a banner for your shop and writing up a short description could help bring more attention to the pattern? You could also try making a smaller free pattern to attract customers that might consider buying the bag. As for the wishlist thing, I often see patterns that I love but don’t have the time/yarn/motivation to make at the moment, so I put it in my wishlist for later when I look for a new project( sort of like a to do list)! I also have lots more people putting my patterns in their wishlists rather than getting them, even though they’re free lol
Good luck getting sales! I love the bag btw <3

3 Likes

I’d say because it’s a little pricey? Maybe making more patterns that are cheaper so they can see more of your work. Or make a free pattern so they can see how you write them and make sure they like it!

3 Likes

Wow! This bag is truly adorable! i would 100% buy it but i’m not allowed to get paid patetrns on here :upside_down_face:
I agree with @tygger428, I would make a small free/cheap pattern attract customers.
I would also considering putting out on etsy! ALOT of people buy patterns on etsy.
also I think 8$ is alot for some people, and they think its so expensive they dont buy it

4 Likes

hundreds of people have my whaleshark pattern in their wishlist but i barely have any sales…I guess it is normal

4 Likes

as one of the people who has the pattern in my wishlist, i’m too cheap to buy myself paid patterns, so i usually wait for holidays and stuff and hope my family will buy them for me :sweat_smile: some things i do buy myself, but only when im sure i have the time and materials to make it!

4 Likes

$8 might be a bit out of budget for some. But based on the work and efforts designers put into the process, it is worth it. It’s a shame that they can’t get paid well for their hard work. I’m sure they get very discouraged. Even when they have lots of attractive patterns, people expect them to accept a low price or worse, work for free.

4 Likes

Omg I didn’t even consider how it would be in different currencies, thats actually super helpful thank you

3 Likes

Hey, Thanks so much for the advice! Also, the shop banner has always given me trouble when I try to add one. It always shows up as a square picture in the center of the banner instead of a rectangle that covers the whole banner if that makes sense. The pictures im adding are the correct dimensions too so I honestly don’t know how to fix that.

4 Likes

Yeah just basically what everyone said I would add some cheap/free patterns to your shop to make you recognized and then ppl might be interested in your bag. I hope you make some sales!

2 Likes

I could make you a banner if you’d like!

4 Likes

Thanks so much but I think I figured out why it wasnt working before. Turns out it was the dimensions of the pictures that I was adding and im just dumb lol. Thank you for offering to help though :smile:

2 Likes

No problem! Yeah that was the problem you have to have a certain size.

1 Like

I just got your kitty bag pattern. Its so cute, i love the cats on it :blush: cant wait to start it

2 Likes

Omg thank you so much! Hope you like it :grin:

3 Likes