How did you learn your craft?

My earliest memory of knitting was watching my grandmother who was a professional hand knitter when I was very young. I was fascinated by the soft click-clack of her tortoise shell needles! Then at the age of four. She cast on a few stitches on a spare pair of needles for me and had me sit in front of her and she taught me to knit! She was a left handed knitter so sitting opposite her made it very easy to watch and learn since I am a right handed knitter! I have not put my needles down since! :blush:

12 Likes

Wow that’s amazing! It’s so neat to hear your story :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And you learned when you were 4! That’s amazing! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

I love this story!! Sounds like such a great memory! I was self taught around 5 years old, I picked up a hook and yarn one day at the craft store and just started making stuff up! I thought I had made up my own craft, but I quickly found out that I was crocheting! After that, I was able to learn even more!

8 Likes

Aww oh that’s so cute! I probably would’ve thought that too when I was that age :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I think I was randomly making up a stitch sometime (or at least trying to), and then found out that it was a real stitch that wasn’t my own creation! :joy: I think I then gave up on trying to make up a unique stitch of my own :wink:

7 Likes

I learned how to crochet in the Girl Scouts when I was 10. I didn’t do too much with it until I was out of college, married and had my second daughter. I started an Etsy shop selling baby beanies and baby shoes and did local craft fairs and had so much fun. Then my main business took off and I didn’t have too much time for crochet. I fell in love with it all over again during the lockdowns of the pandemic and have finally started writing and selling my own patterns. So that 10 year old Girl Scot became a crochet designer!

7 Likes

I learned crocheting when I was 9 years old in the school because we had to choose an activity from 5 activities ( crafts - music - cooking - reading - planting ) so I chose crafts and the teacher learned us crocheting :yarn:

6 Likes

That’s awesome!! And YouTube really helps to make it so easy to learn new stitches and techniques!!!

6 Likes

Ohh I feel your pain! I still think that I am on the verge of inventing something incredible! But it’s true though… dreams cost nothing!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Ohhh this is purely perfect!!! I really love this story! What a wonderful way to get reacquainted with your ten year old self with a timeless craft!!!:revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

I really enjoy knitting and crocheting in fact all yarn crafts! Tgere is something magical in making string pretty!!! (Did you see what I did there!?! My shop is called PrettyString Designs!)

4 Likes

You chose very wisely! Crochet and knitting are lifelong crafts that are constantly evolving! We can keep them with us forever and they are just so enjoyable :heart:

4 Likes

Such a nice colorful memory :blue_heart:
Grandparents memories always warm my heart :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

I’ve always been fascinated by hand crafts since I was kid, but since I’m clumsy & impatient never even tried.

Something changed my mind for good.

On Sep 2020; I was diagnosed with stage 2 Lipedema in my arms & legs, so I decided to go for liposuction/ brachioplasty surgery on Nov 2020 to start the long treatment journey.

During my recovery phase earlier this year, I started practicing couple of crafts (finger knitting, pottery, free drawing & crochet).

I guess practicing all those crafts was some kind of reaction against my disease, I wanted to prove that I can beat it. :muscle:t2:

Now I go for kickboxing sessions three times a week & work on my little amigurumi projects in my free time.

:blush:

7 Likes

That’s so awesome! I couldn’t choose between those, I basically love all of them! :wink::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::joy:

4 Likes

Oh my goodness I used to be a Girl Scout! My business partner and I were in it together since we were very small (kindergarten is when it started) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Although I didn’t learn crochet and knitting from it, we always did fun things craft-related, and even one time we made a whole meal course! :blush:It was always fun, I would always look forward to those meetings :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I love crafts! :blush:

6 Likes

What a wonderful inspiration you are!! I often get a bit lazy and take for granted that I actually do have a skill that not everyone has, and that is kinda special! I think that your little taste of crafting is such a delight! I find my creating, so much fun and it is really relaxing, so in itself it can be quite therapeutic! I wish you nothing but joy and love of everything, and thank you for sharing your story <3

5 Likes