How do I make a sturdy bag?

Is there a stitch that is stronger than the rest, sturdier and will hold up better? Is there a different yarn I should use? I want to make the strongest bag possible!
Thanks for the input! 🫶🏼:sparkles:

7 Likes

waistcoat stitch looks really sturdy. As far as long lasting yarn, you should look for “rug” yarn

6 Likes

Try hemp yarn, the tighter the stitch-the denser the fabric
You could try sc, or linked sc

5 Likes

Not sure, but if I were making one I think I would use my Red Heart Super Saver and the crochet knit stitch. Edited to say I think that is the same as the waistcoat stitch.

4 Likes

Something with post stitches, like the alpine stitch, will hold up well. Keep in mind that the sturdiest stitches will take up more yarn, too. Good luck!

4 Likes

I have a few market bags I’ve made out of cotton yarn that seem to hold up. But it depends on what the bag is for.
As for stitch hmm that’s one I’m unsure of

4 Likes

Just an everyday bag that can handle heavy stuff like a laptop.

5 Likes

I would suggest sewing lining into it!

6 Likes

I’ve used acrylic for bags and I found that this yarn “sags” .
I’ve also tried 100% cotton and I found this yarn “stretches”.
I’ve heard a lot of good reports about using hemp yarn for accessories such as clutches, bags, purses, belts, etc

6 Likes

Good to know. I’ve never ever felt hemp yarn that I know of. Wait, I might have some hemp twine.

3 Likes

I was gonna suggest the same and saw your comment.

3 Likes

polyolfin cord is very strong

2 Likes

That might be a tough one, what kind of laptop? Apple laptops tend to be pretty light some less then 2lb but my husband’s got a gaming laptop that’s more then 30lb.

If you’re wanting to make a pattern to reuse you may need to account for the heavier laptops, if it’s just for you then you can just worry about the weight of your own.

The strap strength will also be an issue.

2 Likes

Good point! Thanks for that info! Didn’t think about that.

1 Like

I made a really sturdy bag using a stitch I found on Pinterest, you basically just alternate hdc and ss

2 Likes