How do people actually get pattern sales on here?

Ive only made €2 my whole time selling patterns on here and was just wondering is there a reason? Or something i should be doing
I know i havnt had new patterns in a while could that be it
Or are my patterns just not that appealing to the demographic here ?

10 Likes

I dont want u to think im trying to be rude but what i think it might be (because ive caught myself doing this from time to time) but if theres a pattern someone likes they could search yt or google to try and find a free version of the pattern or a way to make the same said pattern without actually having to buy it if that makes sense

8 Likes

In my case people started buying my patterns only after they started trending, so I guess that’s a factor. I try to use this to my advantage by releasing the patterns in correct seasons, for example halloween squares a week before Halloween.
Making a sales also helps, but it can really impact your profit.
I also noticed that the more patterns I release the more popular they get so maybe you should try releasing some new patterns.

9 Likes

dont worry i totally get that and was definitely thinking about that as a possibility

7 Likes

yeah thats what i was thinking i dont have many patterns as of right now so hopefully it will get better as i continue to release some im just so bad at coming up with ideas :grimacing:

6 Likes

Another factor to consider is the activity in the community, I know patterns are uploaded pretty often so patterns will inevitably get lost among them unless users are searching specifically for that type of pattern. I believe being active in the community will give more of a chance for your shop to be seen since if someone was curious they can click your profile and check if you have a shop and look through your patterns, plus it can help dispell any fear of buying a pattern and not being able to contact the designer, sometimes I hesitate buying a pattern since I can’t know for certain that if I get stuck or confused if I contact the designer if I will get a response, I’m more likely to buy a pattern fron a user who’s active in the community since I know for sure my question will most likely be answered in a timely matter of that makes sense​:smile:

9 Likes

This is such an interesting view. I’ve never thought about this but I am struggling with a pattern and while I’m waiting for the designer’s response, the doll is on hold :sob::sob:

5 Likes

Yeah i definitely get that im trying to be much more active since i havnt really been recently because of work and my nana broke her hip so its been a little crazy but things have calmed down a bjt hopefully i can be on here more !

6 Likes

Yeah tbf id probably hesitate buying a pattern too

4 Likes

You can also do pattern release announcement. I see them floating around and do click on them. Also, a catchy name will draw attention. I am guilty of clicking on something that sounds interesting (I.e., sushi bee :smiling_face::smiling_face:)

7 Likes

Definitely seasonal patterns help, not just during the current season, but the next too, as I’ll generally start searching a couple of months before big holidays so I have time to make stuff without rushing.

I also agree that visibility in the community helps so you know you’ll get a reply with any issues.

And also, having at least one free pattern of each item type (small garment, amigurumi etc) so people can get a feel of how the patterns are written. This is what I do as patterns in my currency are generally $5+, so if I’m going to be spending anything above that, I want to make sure it’s a decent quality that’s easy to understand. The only designers that I skip that for are ones I’ve done tests for in the past, so I have a decent idea how their patterns work.

6 Likes

Oh thats a good point too thanks !

3 Likes

There’s really a lot of factors to getting your patterns seen. My methods:

1. Good quality photos of the finished product can go a long way. Like in natural light (or if you have nice broght, soft lights). This helps visualize what they could make.
  2. Have a few free pattern on your shop. (And make them followers only) this helps when you are releasing new pattern as potential customers will get a notification about it. And it give people an idea of how you write your patterns.
  3. Unique ideas. Easier said than done, I’d say. If they can find a similar pattern for free or cheaper, that’s the one they might get. I personally would suggest staying away from a lot overdone ideas, you don’t want to spend a lot of time on a pattern that there’s already dozens (if not more) of. Y9u can of course always have your own spin, but I suggest asking yourself what is different about my pattern from others out there?
  4. Like @ArtsAndNaps said, be active in the community. It goes a long way. Be active in tester calls, make pattern drop/tester appreciation posts, if your shop is having a sale advertise it!

I hope this helps!

7 Likes

I’m having trouble selling online too.

4 Likes

Thank you this will hopefully help alot!

3 Likes

The truth tho and i know exactly what pattern ur talking about lmao i never thought of it that way but it is 100% true the names matter :clap:

2 Likes

Yeah id imagine attention grabbing names and pictures would help!

2 Likes