How do you make your own pattern?

I can do amigurumis easily if I have the pattern but I want to make my own ones and I don’t know how to start.

Any tip or yt videos you recommend me to watch? So I can learn about it

5 Likes

Ribblr has a unique built in feature for writing patterns, called Ribbuild

4 Likes

Oh I didn’t know bout it, ty!

2 Likes

I would play with it and try something simple to start with. Any pattern you make in Ribbuild is only viewable in Ribblr which helps protect against others stealing it

3 Likes

I have been crocheting for 13 years and I’m just now getting into designing and trying publish my own patterns, so you’re not alone in being able to follow but unsure how to create! I’ve started with simple shapes, and sometime just modifying a pattern you are familiar with (just for the creative exercise-not to sell) can help with inspiration. I like to ask What If? I see a lot of this kind of animal this way but What If I made it in this other style?
I picked a cute notebook and as I am messing around crocheting I take notes so that I can come back and remember how I got it right (or wrong!) and keep working on it later.
I hope that helps a little and I bet you are going to make awesome patterns! :heart:

3 Likes

I’ll try to, thank you!!
It’s a cool idea to ask “what if”, I’d never thought about it​:open_mouth:

2 Likes

I’d recommend Complicated Knots on youtube. She has a playlist of vides (5 or 6) that explain in detail about how to visualize, write, and polish a pattern. They are extremely helpful, especially when starting out.

I was very lucky that I have a very visual mind and can plan ahead, as to what sts I need to use where. But I know not eveyone can do this as easily, especially as you move into more complex shapes.

4 Likes

I oftentimes make my own pattern, and the best tips I can give you are:

• Write or draw what you want it to look like
  • Don’t be afraid to use references, crochet or not
  • Know what you need to do to make the shapes you need (Like, a sphere. If you don’t know how to make a shape, study other patterns with the shape or look up a tutorial)
  • Don’t be afraid to frog it (because at some point you are bound to have to)
  • Write down your patterns!!! Even if you don’t intend to use them again, writing down the pattern can help you see where you went wrong.

And for the most part, just enjoy the process. And remember that you can still use other people’s patterns. (That’s something I didn’t do and it came back later.) I can’t wait to see what you make! :sparkles:

2 Likes

Tysm!! :heart:

2 Likes

This is such good recommendations! I love watching her designing and creating an entire pattern. I wouldn’t be able to go that far but I love having her on as I’m working in my own pieces!

2 Likes

I think it’s a lot of trial and error also. For me, I visualize a design, do a terrible sketch of the shape, and then just start crocheting (and a lot of frogging) until I get what I want. Also remember to write it down as you go.

2 Likes

@Scarletskies is right. Her videos on designing amigurumi are very good! I’ll see if I can find a link for you.

Here’s one.

2 Likes

And then, this one. All of her videos are awesome though! She makes the impossible seem possible. I may not have had the courage to do amigurumi if it weren’t for her inspiration!

2 Likes

Thanks to you and Scarlet!! I will watch them​:sparkles:

3 Likes