How’s the Cat In Shell Costume going to turn out?

Well, I’m down to my last Costumed Animal (Summer Set)…but I’ve a feeling it’s impossible to do a spiral for the cat’s shell costume. Because I have to make the costume fit the cat at the same time. There isn’t a way to make a spiral shell amigurumi, is there?

40 Likes

You could try making a long tube and twisting it and sewing it in place?
Or make it like bumps like this

8 Likes

Looks like it has to include bumps. There doesn’t seem to be any other way.

8 Likes

Oh okay did you still try making a long tube and twisting it and sewing in place? Idkkk sorry

7 Likes

No, not yet, but that could work. My first idea was adding bumps to the shell.

8 Likes

Okay!

7 Likes

I’m not sure if this would be possible, but maybe crochet a long 2d strip, then seam the edges together on the inside to create bumps?

7 Likes

What about increasing stitches FLO in alternating rows?

Similar to this than push it inside out, maybe.

13 Likes

Mmmhmm. That could work.

9 Likes

I would make a cone shape, going into the back loop only so the front loops or left open, then I would surface crochet into those front loops to make it a cone spiral shape :smile:

9 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. You know, there are so many ways that I didn’t think of. :sweat_smile: Maybe it’s because of the heatwave that’s fogging my brain.

11 Likes

Or I could make a cone, then thread through it like a spiral and pull tightly, to sculpt it.

7 Likes

Be carefull though! Your yarn might break.

4 Likes

You could make a hollow piece for the cat then add the bumps. Or you could do a bunch of increases thrn decreases when you want it to bump! Also its super impressive how you drew the other characters and then made them pretty much exactly like the drawing!

4 Likes

Actually, there is a hollow piece for the cat, just like the other animals. The inside of the costume has to be made first.

3 Likes

Maybe not too tightly, then. Just enough to shape it.

3 Likes

I looked around for some inspo pics, maybe something like this?

7 Likes

I like that. Its just when ive tried to shape my amigurumi like that all at once, my yarn breaks. I woulds suggest doing it in sections to ensure your yarn doesnt break, if you decide to go that way.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if this’ll work. Especially when you want to make the costume the right size.

4 Likes

Plus, sewing the inside of the costume to a shell like that would be tricky.

4 Likes