How should I price???

Im making this cropped faux fur coat which took $35 in yarn costs and will take 7-9 hours of active work. The yarn is harder to work with because stitches cannot be seen. I don’t know what I should be charging, what do yall think? <3

6 Likes

Where’s the picture love?

5 Likes

only like halfway done, i should be done by Wednesday afternoon so update you then

7 Likes

would look something like this but shorter and with a hood

8 Likes

Try to figure out the cost of making it. The minimum wage in your area times it by the # of hours put in and add in your costs of supplies. Maybe that will give you an idea. If you don’t think that is a fair price, difficulty of the piece should be factored in as well & maybe profit margin. See if that works for you. LMK…interested. Would love to see the piece also. Never worked with faux fur because of my eyes. Too hard to see

5 Likes

It’s fun once you get the hang of it but you have to count and like feel the stitches. It took me like and hour to understand. tysssm!

6 Likes

I would say if it’s a crop jacket, at least $100.

5 Likes

Please this is just a caution for people thinking they can get minimum wage for their items. Anyone who thinks they can charge - paid by the hour minimum wage for hand crafted item in knitting and crochet will be very disappointed when they try to sell their very nice hand crafted item. You will generally be getting twice the cost of the yarn. Most non crafty people have no clue about the skill and time to make them and aren’t willing to pay for something they can “get cheaper at walmart or some other store”, even tho we know it’s not the same, and most don’t want to pay for expensive yarns either. You eventually make more money selling reasonable priced patterns to other crafters who want to make one for themselves. Eventually you sell enough patterns to makes a profit on your design as you sell many patterns. I hand spin my yarn, which, if I spin 1 & 1/2 hrs a day will take about a week to prepare the fiber for spinning, spin two bobbins of singles and then ply them together, skein it up and wash and let dry. Can you imagine what I would need to be selling it for using even minimum wage hrs of spinning? $5X1o hr = $50, we donate most of our time and just charge for the fiber or yarn times 2 or 3 depending on the difficulty. tho’ some fibers are very expensive and I’m not willing to spin and sell these, ie: qiviut (musk ox) is about $35 for 1/3 of an oz and Vicuña fiber runs $20.00 a gram!! Those two are on my bucket list ;p!! If you want to make money, write patterns or chose small simple patterns to make and sell at craft shows where the people coming in are already expecting to buy hand crafted items, they seem to be more appreciative.

6 Likes

finished <3 (ran out of yarn so no hood

7 Likes