How you pick your testers?

Hi! I’m new here. I’m testing a pattern of mine but don’t know how to tell which testers are good/trustworthy.

I used to test patterns on Instagram and I picked my testers based on their IG page. However, I’m new to Ribblr and I can’t see much info of an account. Do I choose base on how many makes they have, how long they have been on Ribblr or some other things?

Could anyone tell me how designers usually select their testers? Thanks!

17 Likes

For my first tester call, I would look at their makes, make sure that they’ve actually made something. I also like to choose some people with high karma because I can trust them. After a while, if they have tested for you before, I would trust and pick them

14 Likes

Some designers use karma, you can can get karma from completing tests. However, I have found that it someone has a ton of karma, it may mean that they have a lot of tests constantly going on and it will take them a while to get to yours, and they may not even get to it in time. You can also look at their makes, I wouldn’t pay too much attention to how many they have but more the quality of what they have made. Good luck with testing!!!

14 Likes

I am like @anon12722758 . You will also know after a few tests. You will get into a rhythm of knowing and seeing who is reliable.

13 Likes

I agree you really do get a hang of the rhythm after a while! I usually look at karma, they’re usually more reliable. But i will also accept at least 1 or 2 people who dont have karma to give them a chance to get some. Anyone that you accept, and they complete the task i say remember them for future test & same thing with ones who were no shows on finishing.

10 Likes

I think my next one I will ask for people without multiple tests already. Crazy to think just because it’s easy and you have a week, that they don’t start it until the last day. Just me though.

9 Likes

Thank you! This is very helpful!

7 Likes

I haven’t got applicants with huge karma or any karma really but I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks so much!

7 Likes

I was wondering that: how would those with 0 karma even get started if no one picks them, but again, I still wanna be careful. Thanks so much for the help!

7 Likes

I choose mainly people who seem motivated to test it, with or without karma. If they don’t complete it and don’t send any message to tell me (there is always some, but not many), I add them to the list of people I will not accept again.

9 Likes

i choose mine like @Solne. i basically see who’s the most devoted to testing. and if they don’t complete it, than i usually don’t choose them again.

5 Likes

I’m not a designer but there is a feature Ribblr added that may help. When designers apply on the application to approve or deny them it should show their Karma. Karma is giving to testers by designers when they gift and remove them after they completed the test. 1 Karma = 1 Completed test. It is important to note that newcomers or those that don’t test often may have none/very little Karma so it’s your choice whether to accept them or not. I often ask designers if Karma is a factor, most of them say they look at it but it mainly bore down their makes, or how active they are in the community.

If you’re worried about the trustworthiness of testers there is another feature used that can help make sure they’re going to test! Not many Designers use it but as a tester I don’t mind it.

With your Pattern there’s an option to Block view you can place it anywhere from the very beginning or at sections. I would recommend placing it at the very beginning and asking testers in the group message to start a journal with a note and/or photo of the materials they plan on using like yarn or hook info. Then I recommend giving them some time to do this as everyone has different time zones and other things that could be happening at that moment.

If they don’t respond or don’t make a journal despite the time you’ve given them then chances are they intended on ghosting you. After you remove everyone that didn’t respond and or didn’t make the the journal you can then open another section or all of it up and keep going from there. Of course if you plan on blocking the view I would mention it in the tester call in case that’s something testers won’t have the time to do/you can always ask the testers approved in the message if some of the deadlines need to be moved or not

While more than half of this wasn’t how to choose trustworthy testers I hoped that it somehow gave you an idea on how to make trustworthy testers stay :smile:

6 Likes

It’s good to have a few low/no karma in testing.

2 Likes

My method is to first look at the makes of the people who commented on my testing call. I will look to see their skill level and quality of their makes. I will then loook at all the other applicants makes that didn’t comment. I then will try to pick about 2/3 of my testers with 10+ karma with quality, up to skill level makes (the number of makes isn’t too important to me). The last 1/3 will be those with less than 10 karma and 1-2 with no/very low karma (like others have said - to give them a chance).

I will also look at, if they have shops themselves and have done teating calls before, that let’s me know that they have dealt with testers and will likely be a very good teater themselves.

And like other have said, you will start to recognize good testers after the first few test.

6 Likes

Thanks so much! I’ll definitely make use of that “journal” feature you mentioned. It actually makes the whole thing feel so much safer. I’ve had experience on IG that someone looked like a good tester but after I send her the pattern, she replied late, ended up not finishing it on time and I had to keep asking and reminding her. I think how well testers prepare for the test would be a really good tell. Appreciate your help! :blush:

4 Likes

Would the complete tests show up as their makes? or would they just be converted into karma?

4 Likes

No problem glad to help! Also journals show the finished makes of a pattern, if the pattern is unpublished and still during the testing phase in the designer will be able to see the journal, so it’s good to make sure no parts of the pattern is in the journal, its meant as a review for public patterns so any mistakes/suggestions/etc during the testing phase should be in the tester group message you as a designer will make, just a note in case you we’rent aware.

But yes it will show in the makes, I often title my projects Test/?? But others just have the regular pattern name some designers don’t require journals either so it won’t show in the makes but there will be a karma. Hope that helps explain some more things :smile:

4 Likes

They show up as makes. The karma is just what a tester gets when they complete a test (something the designer gives them when they gift the pattern to them).

5 Likes

I see. Thank you so much!

5 Likes

Oh I did not know that. So the testers’ journal would be public in the make section of their page? l was also wondering why someone has karma but has no makes. This makes sense now :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes