I want a cat!

very weird but I REALLY REALLY REALLY want a kitty cat!!! but my parents hate LIKE RELIGOUSLY HATE cats but like i want a little kitty to help me i want it to cuddle on lap while i do school! but i also am scared bc i have yarn and cats love yarn…

so how should i convince my parnets to get me a little kitty?

13 Likes

If you want something calm to cuddle and not play with your yarn, you may want a small dog instead. We have a Chihuahua that’s the happiest, friendliest little fellow ever… The cats are entertaining, insane, giant buttholes

6 Likes

I’m partial to cats, buttholes and all! :joy: little dogs make me very nervous, never know when they’re going to bite you, and I can’t stand the yipping/yapping.
I have a name for it but I’ll refrain from sharing. :wink:
Ok,
First: find out why they don’t like cats. That’s the biggest hurdle. If you can assuage that, whatever it is, then you got it in the bag.
Second, come up with a plan on how the cat will be cared for and by whom… Who is going to be responsible? Pay for vaccines, neuter/spay, veterinarian visits.
Third, share benefits of a cat. They go to the bathroom on their own, they groom themselves, they’re generally quiet, they provide stress relief for their owners, are NOT mean. They are only mean if they feel you are not safe. So, don’t rush at them, chase them, hit them, scream at them, throw them, or push them roughly.

6 Likes

Cricket is my third Chi, I have never understood the bad rap they have. In fact, I have never owned a small dog of any breed that was anything other than a sweet love bunny to everyone.
It’s all in how you raise them

6 Likes

Just really make sure that before getting a cat (or any pet in general) that you’re confident that you’ll be able to properly care for them and take responsibility

And like a very young kitten (like less than a year or something) might also be way more difficult to care for, especially as first cat/pet, so I’d kinda recommend getting one that’s at least a year old or more. But that’s just a personal recommendation

About convincing parents I’m not really sure what exactly could help, maybe showing that you know how to take care of a cat/show how far into details you’ve done your research about the care/their needs and such

7 Likes

I’m not entirely sure how to convince them to get a cat but I do know that depending on the cat stage they don’t like (for example if they don’t like kittens because they can be high strung) there are other cats that are still super sweet! I fostered a mama cat at one point and she is the sweetest thing and still is cuddly and everything :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smile_cat:
That’s all I’ve got

7 Likes

I am a cat lover, but as a parent…
I have to say that if I had said that my kids couldn’t do something in my house, I meant it. It’s my house. I don’t have to explain myself, I don’t have to listen arguments, I don’t need to have my mind changed. It’s my house and my rules. If there was something they wanted that was against my wishes, then they would just have one more thing to look forward to when they grow up and move out.
I just have to be honest as a fellow parent, I would not feel right helping you go against their wishes.

5 Likes

i totally get you! i am in the same boat and also really wanna get a cat. what i did was i made a presentation about what cats do, and like what i would do and stuff like that. i showed it to my parents and they said that they would think about it. so maybe try that?

4 Likes

My cats and the cats i cat sit all like to chew my yarn, refuse to cuddle when i want to(only on their term like 3am when I’m trying to sleep) and really are forces of their own.
Maybe, if you can’t get a cat of your own, you could offer to pet sit friends and families cats when their on holiday. Then you can have kitty love without having to fight your parents over it and maybe seeing you look after them and hearing your passion and love for them might help convince your parents too.

Edit to add: remember cats can be expensive, food, yearly vaccinations, spay and neutering to stop cancers, both my cats have chronic conditions I’ve had 6months of tests to find out why she keeps puking to find there’s no reason to be found, she just randomly pukes but also is on expensive diet. Then my boy has asthma and need 3monthly reviews, cat inhalers we need to buy everytime(not covered by insurance)
Maybe their resistance also lies in worry about price to care for. If you don’t have a part time job with savings it would come to them to pay the bills.

5 Likes

@TayCrochetss Before you get a pet something to note is.
Cats and even dogs (I have both.) Can both be really sweet or really sassy!

It all depends on the individual pet. Not all cats like to be petted.
My cat only likes to be petted when she wants. so we must give her respect and wait till she asked
(or else she will rightfully swat! Claws and all.) But some cats love to be petted all day everyday!
So it is best to check and make sure they have the right personality that matches yours! Because you don’t want to pet a cat if they don’t want it. Same goes with dogs some love all people some only like some people. (Not all dogs are friendly and we should also respect that.) Sorry if this is a bit long! :sweat_smile: it is a really important topic for me. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Absolutely!
Getting a pet is like getting a child. They have their own personalities and opinions and you have no way of knowing what that will be before they settle in… And you must be ready to accept whatever you get. You can’t argue that you are ready for “a cat” because there is no typical generic “a cat”. Are they entertaining, yes. Are they adorable, yes. But they are constant 3 year old children that will never understand why you don’t appreciate all the things they do.

8 Likes

Thank you so much for replying guys. This wouldn’t be my first pet. I have had a rottweiler and a chihuahua, they are both still alive but we don’t know how much longer we have with our rot because she is getting close to the age that both of her parents died at. I was gifted her from my grandma who used to breed rots.
My chihuahua is basically immortal and when I move out of my parents house she’s probably coming with. But she was too young when she was taken from her mama so she has horrible anxiety. She isn’t great with people either, she doesn’t even really like my brother.
I have been doing some research on how to care for cats too. For payments I have my crochet business and hopefully when I start highschool I’ll be helping in my mom’s boutique for “credit”

I honestly love this idea and might see if I can do it. My fiend has a cat, and I’m pretty sure my grandma does too (she recently “moved” and i forgot if they gave the cat away or kept it) i’ll have to ask #1 bc my friend does travel alot #2 bc i am pretty sure my mom and dad might be ok with it

6 Likes

3 Likes

If you want a cat that doesn’t mess up your stuff you want an old cat. They’re more chill a kitten will tear up all your stuff. Honestly, I had hedgehogs and they were the best art buddies. But their life span is very short and they are an exotic nocturnal animal so you need the skills and schedule to handle them (I was working nights from home) a guinea pig might be similar but I dunno I never had one @grannyroomcrafts is probably right that the easiest “normal” pet for the type of companion you want is probably a small dog.

4 Likes

Guinea pigs must have a companion or they get mean/die. They need fresh vegetables daily. We had ours in wood chips- didn’t matter- the smell was awful!
They tend to bite and they make this gut wrenching sound when they get hurt.
My late husband got our grandsons 2 Guinea pigs against my better judgement.
Guess who cleaned the cage

Yea……

Moi

3 Likes

Oh that sounds awful, thanks for the heads up to never get my kid a guinea pig. :+1:

3 Likes