Ice breaker idea

Why don’t we say what got us into crocheting, stitching, or knitting? I’ll start. I got interested because my older cousin does a shop for crochet so she asked my mom what are mine and my brother’s favorite fnaf characters. We waited and waited to know why she asked and then Christmas comes along, me and my brother figure out that our cousin made us crochet figures of our favorite fnaf characters, I was so astonished I started to self-teach myself how to crochet and I just a few days ago I found this site, that is how I got into crochet and now I am getting better and better and I am trying to make things and sell them for some people now

10 Likes

I started almost all of the fiber arts I currently know how to do when I was a young child. I did it because my grandmothers told me I had to, just like all the other “domestic” things I know.

4 Likes

I started to crochet bc i have autism and ptsd so squishy and plush things always help me, it was when i was 7 i think. then i started knitting when i was 10 i think but i am so bad at it lol! but sewing is something i learnt very young! my maternal grandma worked in a sewing factory in india so she told me how to sew (she actually made me hand sew the most hideous dress in existence lol) but crochet is my favourite

3 Likes

I started knitting at first because I had already got very into sewing, I stopped after a while and then wanted to try crochet which I self taught and used videos to practice, then I went more in depth when finding free patterns now and again and then found some patterns from ribblr and joined which made me very inspired ! I was also inspired to knit by my Nan and another distant family member :smile:

3 Likes

that is really cool thank you for sharing

3 Likes

It is cool that you learned at a young age

2 Likes

It is cool that you learned to knit from your family I find it fascinating how people start sometimes

3 Likes

Yeah it’s nice to know how people became passionate about craft!

2 Likes

My Mom taught me how to sew, cross stitch, and needlepoint when I was young, like around 5. Then my grandmother taught me how to knit at 8, and my sister in law taught me to crochet at like 13 or 14. I still do them all and love trying new techniques I haven’t before and have done crazy things like fixed someone’s wedding dress that another person had taken apart and given back to the bride 2 weeks before her wedding in pieces saying they couldn’t finish putting it back together, fixed several heirloom hand quilted quilts, all the way down to sewing up new garments, hemming for friends that can’t sew, and knitting up dish rags and socks! I love to do it all and almost always have 5-6 things going at once between knitting, crochet, sewing, and cross stitch :rofl::joy:

2 Likes

That is really cool that you learned at 5, I love the fact that many people learn and are sparked in many different ways

2 Likes

My older cousin (just by a year lol) had yarn and crochet hooks as she had tried it but never really continued and one day she asked if I wanted to give it a try and I did and I continued ever since :smile:

1 Like

I got started because my mom used to crochet and so did my grandma. I taught myself how to crochet using youtube. I made a bear and a blanket but they were both done with no patterns and were really uneven. I recently got back into crochet when my best friend asked me to make her a few plushies. Now im planning on starting my own etsy or something.

3 Likes

That is really cool

1 Like

I started learning crocheting from my great grandmother when I was eight but I didn’t really enjoy it. Around two years ago I discovered the wide range of patterns in the internet and was fascinated :joy: I then started crocheting again and this time with joy. Recently I have picked up many other forms of crafting like embroidery, punchneedling and knitting.

1 Like

Every one finds it a diffrent way and that is cool that you used to not like it but now you do

2 Likes

I got the app pinterest like maybe a year or two ago, and i saw a video with a bunch of plushies and i thought it was so cute so i watched more and decided i wanted to learn!

2 Likes

My grandma taugt me to crochet a few years ago, and she’s planning on teaching me to knit soon!

1 Like

My mam first showed me sometime last year and I picked it back up around Christmas, just started to watch videos and self teach myself things from there :slight_smile:

I started to knit because i wanted to make one pf my dayhome kids a scarf. Thats where it started in 2007. I picked up crochet to help
Make wash cloths for homeless kits. From there its just bloosomed.
Id watch my grandma crochet and knit all the time in awe.

My mom taught me how to crochet when I was in second grade, but in like tenth grade, we were going to go on a trip to Disney, so I decided to make some dolls to bring with me. They weren’t too good at the beginning, but my amigurumi was improved loads since then! Now I do a mixture if amigurumi and “regular” crochet; I’ve been making a lot of summer tops recently