Instagram free patterns

Maybe this is a stupid questions but I want to make sure before I start doing something.

On Instagram there are so many free patterns, and I want to sell the final product.
Do I need to ask the author or just because it’s free already means it can be sold?
(obviously tagging the creator)

4 Likes

I’m not really experienced in this field, but I feel like they should probably warn you if they don’t want you to sell it.

2 Likes

Yes, some of them had the warning text but others just say to tag them if we make a post but don’t say anything about selling
That’s why I was a bit confuse​:frowning:

1 Like

I think you should probably ask them then, because it’s always better safe than sorry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve sold a few of the freebie makes and yes if it’s not clear it can be confusing. Which a designer should specify. Some designers don’t even message back so my advice is to reach out and if they don’t respond then I’d just go ahead a make it up and sell the finished product anyway. Unless it makes you uncomfy. They could just feel it’s free so why bother adding that info which is important info.
I like hearing that people are still concerned about this because I’ve seen so much weird stuff go on in the crafting world it blows my mind.
Just make sure to credit the designer if you post.

4 Likes

Okay, thank you so much!!:heart:

2 Likes

In the US, the designer has the rights to the pattern itself. This means you can not copy it and claim it’s yours. However, whatever is made from the pattern is yours to do as you please. There are some that ask that you don’t sell the items, but legally, they don’t really have the right to do so. However, it’s usually courteous to heed the request. Another thing to consider though, if it is a trademark item (a character from a show perhaps), then you can not sell it without a license from the trademark holder.

6 Likes

Also doesn’t it mean you can sell the finished product outside of the web. You can do trade shows or individual sells from person to person?

1 Like

Yes, in the US, as long as it isn’t a trademark item, you can sell anywhere - online or in person

1 Like

Yea, I mean I wasn’t going to do as if the pattern is mine, I give them credits and tag them but I was wondering for the freebies that didn’t put anything about selling the item or not

2 Likes