Interest check for Miffy

Hi
Do you like miffy? Bc I’m wondering if people would like a miffy pattern, and I’m not sure if people really know miffy but I rlly wanna do it lol

17 Likes

Yes I would!

4 Likes

I think Miffy is super cute! :blush: I’d say go for it!
Happy Party GIF by nijntje/miffy

5 Likes

The IP holders released official miffy patterns last year. Might not be worth trying to complete with them and end up with legal issues

5 Likes

I don’t know miffy, but he looks cute!
I think youshuld make the pattern :sparkles:

6 Likes

What’s an IP holder and what do you mean?

4 Likes

What/whom is miffy?

5 Likes

Cute cartoon my grandchildren used to watch. I like her too.

5 Likes

Intellectual property. The people who own the licence can legally go after you for making something with their character. This is more likely to happen when they have a product available that is similar.
Miffy is both copywrite material AND trademarked so has a lot of legal protections.

5 Likes

Miffy is such a simple character, im sure if you just call it white bunny it wont be a problem.

Honestly, even looking at the official pattern, its just a generic bunny, and all they did to make it slightly recognizable is embroider an x for the mouth. Without the name, i thought it was just a rabbit head and didnt know it was based off a copyrighted character

Heres a pic of the kit if anyone was curious about what im talkin about, its not the first result on google.

Also btw, this costs $40 o.o

5 Likes

While it’s a cute idea please remember it’s intellectual property that is not yours. So to use the name Miffy you would need to get Copyright allowances from the creator. Just because it’s out there doesn’t mean that it’s free rain to create.

5 Likes

Thats not how copywrite works. If you name it something different but it lools the same the licence holders still have a legal right to come after you.
If you do a white bunny with a different face you’d be different enough to not be held to this but otherwise the licence holders can come after you at any time.
This happened to a friend and his business was shit down because of this. Would hate anyone else to experience that with no knowledge it could happen

3 Likes

Sorry, I might not have worded it right, im not good at being clear lol. I didn’t mean you should make it cus its just a bunny and the company wont care.

I meant, you can make a white bunny, and if someone wants a miphy they can just embroider it how they want, because miphy has no details in it other than the x mouth.

And I used the photo to show that even the official pattern is literally just a ball and 2 cones and its used as a miphy. You can just make a bunny, and people will use it as a miphy if they wanted

3 Likes

Like for example, just looking at some of the bunnies i saved in my pattern tab. I found one thats similar to the official one

its clearly not miphy or even inspired by it.
But if I wanted to, i could just use white yarn and add an x and i got myself a little miphy.
They are at 0 risk of being copyrighted because they just made a regular bunny, but their pattern still can teach me how to make one

3 Likes

ok but can i make a normal bunny

2 Likes

100% yes. As long as it isn’t someone elses design you can do any design you come up with :blush:

1 Like

ok thank you!!

1 Like