What’s a gauge…? :crazy_face::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

13 Likes

Same here… :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I should’ve checked my gauge!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18 Likes

Lol!

7 Likes

Gauge is the BANE of my existence and I try to avoid it so I’ve never made a sweater :joy::joy:

10 Likes

I learned the importance of gauge after I made my first sweater. My gauge was very close so I went for it anyway, half a stitch can’t make that much difference, right? Right??? WRONG!!! Lesson learned! Thank goodness my mom is 4” taller than me and also has a bigger frame, it fit her perfectly so I gave it to her. :blush:

13 Likes

omg really, half a stitch? I think crochet is more forgiving than knitting.

9 Likes

11 Likes

In knitting it can make a big difference. If the gauge is 5 stitches per inch and it is a size 40” chest measurement you need to cast on 5 x 40 = 200 stitches. If your gauge is 5.5 stitches per inch and you cast on 200 stitches your sweater would end up being 36” instead of 40” (200 stitches divided by 5.5 stitches per inch = 36”). If your gauge is 4.5 stitches per inch and you cast on 200 your sweater would end up being 44-1/2” instead of 40” (200 stitches divided by 4.5 stitches per inch = 44-1/2”). You could always make a bigger or smaller size but it might not fit properly at the armhole.

12 Likes

I spent a good five minutes trying to figure out what a gauge means and I decided I don’t really care

10 Likes

Love it!!!

5 Likes

@Asher

9 Likes

Happy 7 Little Johnstons GIF by TLC Europe

4 Likes

If anyone ever wants to make clothing items, gauge and fit are important to learn

6 Likes

Definitely!

5 Likes

Yes, knitting requires that you pay attention and do it correctly, where some crochet allows you to wing it.
But I like the challenge of understanding and improving my craft and always trying to elevate my skills. I love the puzzle aspect of creating a knit pattern and the feeling of having solved it. Most crochet does not give me that.

5 Likes

My gauges were always ok one way but not the other. Never sure how to get it “just right”. I didn’t check it on the dolls, because I figured it wouldn’t matter. 28 dolls in and I wish I would have checked sooner. Mid way through, I started using a smaller hook for the dolls. Still come out a little taller than Maria’s, but stuffing changes height also.

When I first started crocheting hats, my daughter had a baby girl. She was 6 months old. I made her a bunny hat for 6 to 9 months. It was HUGE on her, so I made another 3 to 6 months. It’s always been a struggle for me. Better to learn it early.

4 Likes

I hate that when you can’t reach the gauge of the designer.
It was one of the main reasons I decided to turn as many patterns as possible into formulas instead of patterns. You pick your yarn and needles and then use your gauge to create a pattern based off of my formula.

6 Likes