Is it yours or mine or ours?

Hello lovely ribblr community,

A while ago I posted about me unsuccessfully trying to come up with a pattern for a doll thatā€™s based on a real human, since thereā€™s no pattern of him available.
I bought the base doll pattern from a crochetier I admire but I struggle with making the clothes.

Now, I have found a few free clothing patterns that would work, though i have to adapt them to fit my base doll. Also i gotta look how to change the colours to get the specific motif I want on the sweater, etc.
And then I started to thinkā€¦ If I were to upload the clothing pattern, which I changed to fit my specific needs, is it then something I made?
Could I give myself credit for it?
Basically the base pattern for e.g. a T-shirt is almost always the same. But I didnā€™t create it per se. Would it be plagiarism were I to sell that pattern?

To clarify: I donā€™t intend to sell or release anything, I just like gifting my friends and family the amigurumi I make, based on (free) patterns I find, or even some that I bought. And whenever I post the finished amigurumi online, I always credit the author of the patterns I used. Since they are kind enough to share their incredible creativity and hard work.

I was simply wondering about everyoneā€™s opinion. :blush:

Have a lovely day, cheers

8 Likes

When I do that i normally keep it for myself and donā€™t sell it but then I normally say like inspo by the pattern designer instead of pattern hope this helps:)

6 Likes

Maybe even, adapted the pattern by ā€¦

10 Likes

I think this would be the most aporpriate

5 Likes

maybe when u post on socials u could put ā€œadapted for me using a pattern by insert pattern writers nameā€

7 Likes

I think it would be worth asking the pattern designer how they feel. I know I wouldnā€™t mind if someone had changed mine enough and credited me. Iā€™d likely want to share yours to my own audience too. Not everyone feels the same on this though.

6 Likes

Many pattern designers who distribute free patterns are still doing so for a reason - to get people to sign up for a newsletter, or to make money from adverts, etc, so a ā€˜freeā€™ pattern isnā€™t any different from a paid pattern in that sense.
As a designer I love to see people get creative with my patterns, change them about, and do different things with them.

But itā€™s still my intellectual property.
For a pattern to be your intellectual property you must make it from scratch.
That means, you must swatch, measure your swatch, calculate stitch counts based on that, and make the pattern from that, without using anyone elseā€™s maths.
If you changed some superficial aspect of the appearance, but itā€™s still based on someone elseā€™s maths/stitch counts, then itā€™s not yours to either give away or sell, although off course you can use it for yourself, and show off your lovely work

6 Likes

That is very well worded. Iā€™m 100% with you.

If someone were to publish a pattern which is based on someone elses, I also say they have to credit the original designer. And ofc not sell the pattern.

Iā€™ve seen some pattern where the publisher bases their own work on the base pattern of someone else. E.g. ā€œbody pattern by xy and additional tail/ fur/ ears by meā€ (when i made a Flareon for my eldest) and if you wanted to make it you had to go buy the base body pattern from the original designer.
I really liked that. It somehow felt like teamwork.

6 Likes