It's Been Awhile!

Hello friends! It’s been awhile since I’ve been here. Awhile as in, since July of last year. So much happened in the last year that literally changed my entire life. My mother fell ill in mid August and was in the hospital most of September and October.
In early November she was placed in a nursing home, where she was originally. ( Dementia). Sadly she passed away in November 15th, 4 days before my birthday and a week before my brother’s birthday. I no longer have parents as my dad passed in 2021.
Loosing my mom has been difficult, mostly for me because I was closer to her than my brother was. My birthday was bittersweet, Thanksgiving was nice but also bittersweet. I miss my mom.
We still haven’t had a celebration of life for her and I and my husband were recently asked to plan one. I also have my mom’s ashes and it’s really a strange feeling. Crying isn’t fun.
I want to create something small for family, once the Celebration of life, for my mom is planned. Any ideas? So that’s what’s going on. Creating helps me stay calm.
On another note I added a new pattern up in my shop. It will be posted in the crochet section.
Have an amazing day, much love to all of you!!:pray::yarn::heart:

16 Likes

omg i’m so sorry. that must be so tough. i know how it feels though… i lost my dad in july of 2020 to cancer and i haven’t looked at life the same. people can leave so quick and abruptly, it really hurts. i hope that you and your family can be at peace with this <3

9 Likes

Thank you​:pray::heart: My dad also had cancer. My mom had dementia, and another illness we didn’t know about until after she passed. It’s so weird because I had just seen her a few days before, but even then she didn’t look well. Yeah, life is insanely short. Always be grateful.:pray::heart:

9 Likes

We’re so sorry for your loss. Sending a virtual hug and we’re here as a community to support you through this tough times :purple_heart:

Thanks for sharing! And here’s the direct link to your pattern:

10 Likes

Thank you :pray::heart: I appreciate this community, and I felt that I needed to share what was happening. You are all amazing and I appreciate all of you.:pray::heart::yarn:

10 Likes

We haven’t met yet. I joined while you were away.

I’m so sorry to hear what you’ve been through. It makes my heart hurt. My mom is 90 and I know the day is coming. I know that I will miss her profoundly. And that there will be a hole where she used to be. All I can do right know is to keep in touch as often as I can and love her the best that I can.

Give yourself time and grace to grieve. The world will tell you how you should do it. Don’t listen to the world. Grieve for however long and in whatever way you need to.

Clearly, you have friends here on Ribblr. And one thing that I’ve noticed is that they will be here for you, whenever you need them. And that includes me, your new friend. If it doesn’t offend you, I will pray for you for comfort and peace.

Now, to a happier topic… what to crochet for the family. The first thing that came to mind was a heart plushie keychain. But then I thought for it to be something that reminds people of your mom, it should be something personal. Some part of her. What did she like? Is there one specific thing that people remember about her? Something she did? Made? Baked?

Here’s an example. My grandma would get together with her friends at one particular restaurant every month and have what they called a “pie party”. If I were to crochet something for those ladies to remember my grandma it would be a miniature cherry pie keychain.

I hope this helps get your imagination flowing! Hugs!

8 Likes

Thank you​:pray::heart: I am glad we are now friends. 90is a good life and may she keep going. I bet she is an amazing woman. My mother was 79. She would have been 80 in April. My mother loved crafts, especially cross stitch, which she taught me when I was growing up. She also loved birds and had a collection of bird houses. She had this love of Italy, even though she had never been there. Her dream was to visit Tuscany.
My family didn’t know a lot about her because they never really came to visit. Those who also knew her best were her siblings. They passed away a few years ago as well. :disappointed: This is why her passing feels strange.
On a happier note, I love the “pie party” idea. That’s so sweet. Perhaps I could make everyone a bird. Hearts would be good too. I love that idea, she was a heart person. Thank you, sweet friend! I absolutely appreciate this and you. I feel the hugs. Have a beautiful day​:pray::heart::yarn:

8 Likes

I am so glad I could help. :two_hearts:

8 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss, losing someone precious can take a toll on anyone and I hope you and your family take as long as you need to grieve, I also agree that the “pie party” or something equivalent would be nice as a celebration of life for your mom

I also hope you have an amazing day, while it may not mean much, sending my best wishes and support to you and your family

9 Likes

Thank you​:pray::heart: You’re right, it’s not easy. All of us are still trying to navigate through this. I think the other hard part is the bills and the things left behind. Then figuring out the house and…yeah…it’s a lot. I’ll still create as it helps and I love doing it. But I promise to take time to grieve. I keep thinking I’m OK, but I’m not at the same time. Like you said, take time to grieve. :pray::heart: Stay beautiful, I appreciate you​:yarn::pray::heart:

9 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss please be kind to yourself and give yourself time :pray:

6 Likes

Thank you​:pray::heart: I will. I promise to be good to myself. I appreciate you!:pray::heart::yarn:

5 Likes

Condolences to you and your family. I hope the Celebration of Life can be a blessing in the midst of all the bittersweet. Internet hugs.

5 Likes

Thank you :pray::heart: I hope so too. I may plan it for the next month to give family a chance to clear their schedules. Much love​:heart::pray::yarn:

5 Likes

My condolences on the loss of both of your parents within such a short time

My parents have been gone a long time and I still miss them both very much. Dad passed in August 1983, and mom passed in August 2006 (& her birthday is right in between the two dates)

6 Likes

Thank you :pray::heart: That is a long time. It’s true what they say, once your parents are gone everything feels different. Perhaps it gets easier each day, but the loss is…its immense. Much love to you!:heart::pray::yarn:

6 Likes