Knit Shawl question

Okay help my Mom brain :rofl::joy: I have a four month old and a toddler so feel like this may be a silly question but figured you all could help out and maybe get a laugh too if it is ridiculous :joy: Can I use a shawl pattern that is a Lacey stitch with dropped stitches etc with a merino superwash that is a worsted weight if I just use bigger needles to keep the airyness? And if the original pattern was written for thinner yarn a shawl with thicker yarn and bigger needles would just end up wider and longer? Help a mom out :rofl::joy::rofl:

6 Likes

I’m not that used to knitting but that sounds like it might work, assuming I understood the question correctly lol also something to note in the original pattern does the yarn they used keep the same needle mentioned on the yarn label or did it go bigger or smaller? I would try to match that with the yarn you chose.

For example if the yarn label mentioned uses a size 15 needle did the pattern stay the same needle size or did they go a size down or up? I would probably match that with the yarn you’re using so if your yarn label says size 10 then if the previous pattern went up/down/same size a needle size you could do the same

If that doesn’t work then I would keep testing with the needle sizes you have to get the effect you want, I hope I provided some help! :smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! Yes the yarn they used in the pattern they went up 3 needle sizes above what the label called for, so I would try that first for sure.

3 Likes

It will be much larger if you go up a yarn size, but yes you should go up accordingly with your needle size as well to keep the laceyness. I’d make a swatch first to see what size needles work best for what you wanted.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I’m going to have to use this yarn for something else :woman_facepalming:t4::rofl: I just relooked at my pattern to start it and for whatever reason what I thought it called for was DK yarn but actually it calls for fingering weight :flushed::woman_facepalming:t4: Not sure how I managed that but I just pulled a different yarn from my stash for it :rofl::joy: Now off to get started and also going to find something else to make with my worsted weight because it’s hand spun and hand dyed locally and it’s so pretty :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Good luck! The worsted weight yarn sounds so lovely! Feel free to share a photo lol :laughing:

3 Likes

Thank you!!! Yes!! I’ll grab a photo because it’s calling to be something gorgeous :rofl:

3 Likes

5 Likes

Ooo how pretty! I’ve always wanted to try hand dyed yarn :yarn:

3 Likes

That is gorgeous yarn!

3 Likes

Love the colours
Look forward to seeing what you make with it in the end

1 Like

Would love to see what you make with it!

2 Likes