Knitting

I’m starting to really dive into knitting. Can the knitters here give me some tips please? Like, what a good beginners project to start with? What should I learn about? What kind of stitches do I need to start out with?

12 Likes

A good knitting project to start with is a scarf! The stitches you should start with are the knit and Purl stitches. If you have already learned them, you should try stockinette stitch.

6 Likes

Thxs!

5 Likes

I’d love to help with stitches but I know the names only in spanish :weary: ahahshha
But, i’d say that you can knit practically everything as long as you use a simple stitch and you knit straight (meaning, something that doesn’t need you to add and close stitches). I personally say knit something out of granny squares, it’s the easier if you can sew. For example, a tote bag, a blanket, a vest(?), and those kind of things.

7 Likes

Well I’m learning Spanish anyway so you could still help!

7 Likes

Okay!
The easier stitch is Santa Clara, also called punto bobo. The ones I would teach next would be in this order, Jersey, Falso Elástico, y Punto Arroz. Also learn how to add stitches, and the ways to closing them too, that depends on what you want to do (eg: if you will do granny squares, maybe learn more stitches first, if you want to make something else (like idk a poncho for example? It was my first big sized project lol) maybe learn to add and close first).

7 Likes

wow. i didnt understand a single thing lol. may i ask why you learned it in spanish?

7 Likes

I was born, raised and currently live in Buenos Aires, the Capital Province in Argentina, a country in South America (look here). It’s the National language. So, my native language is spanish, everyone around me speaks it, and naturally the people who taught me how to knit did it in spanish.

6 Likes

oh. thats really cool. may i ask how you learned english then?

5 Likes

When I taught someone to knit, I started them with a dishcloth with the number 1 on it… It’s somewhat small, uses cast on, knit, purl, and bind off - your bare minimum basics… And the 1 helps remind you it’s your first knit project :wink:
When I was first taught, I was told to cast on, then knit for a few rows until I was comfortable, then pork a few rows until I was comfortable with that, then alternate rows to make stockinette, then bind off… When I asked what I did with this when I finished the answer was “oh you didn’t make anything, you were just practicing. You can save of you want it just rip it out to reuse the yarn.” To be honest, that kinda deflated me, so I didn’t know again for almost another year… Yep made this weird swatch thing then didn’t touch needles for a year :woman_facepalming:t3:
This is the big reason I started the lady I taught with a dishcloth… Similar concept to how I was taught, but had a tangible, useable object in the end :blush:
Also if your gauge is off or wonky, no one cares (but you can also try blocking it for practice with that if you want)…
So I actually added a free pattern for this exact purpose (although it can be used for any reason)…
#1 Dishcloth

8 Likes

Bilingual school (IGCSE level)

6 Likes

Ooo, when I leant (6 years old I think?) at school, they made us knit a square, and when we were done they sewed it to make it a bird, like folded into two diagonally and stuffed with something inside. It was a inverted triangle, and with more yarn they made it a tale, feet, and face. It was pretty cure and I was amazed how it magically became a bird hahahahsh

7 Likes

Lol. The things we thought as kids is just crazy​:joy:

7 Likes

It was easiest for me to learn with yarn of many colors (variegated) because it was easier for me to visually follow the yarn’s “path”.

7 Likes

the best thing to start with is something you want.
A scarf or a dishcloth are not helpful if you have no need for them. You will not have the same desire to finish it as you would for a thing you really want.
A few things to keep in mind:

1. there is no wrong way to knit. We have been knitting for over a thousand years, and in every country, and we all do it differently. If your work looks like the picture, it does not matter how you hold the yarn or needles.
  2. there is no right or wrong yarn, only a right and wrong time to use them. You probably dont want a whole sweater made from red heart super saver, but you also probably don’t want to make a blanket out of the left leg hairs of a sheep that that can only be harvested once a decade in Narnia.
  3. pay attention to how the yarn feels on different needles. The needles are made in a variety of materials because they all have a different drag on the yarn. This drag will affect your speed and gauge.
  4. It took me decades to master some techniques because it was just never explained in a way that made sense. Don’t give up. It’s all just knits and purls jumbled in new ways.
    5)you ever notice how small shirts will sometimes still have big pockets, or big shirts will have huge gaps in the buttons? Its because they took one pattern and scaled it up or down without consideration for those little things that make a difference. Same with knitting patterns, some are just garbage and it’s not your fault. Toss it out and move on.
  5. If you can’t see it while it walks past you, it’s not a mistake, it’s a design choice
  6. you can always rip it out and start something else.
5 Likes

My first knit was a chunky scarf only in garter stitch. I basically learned how to knit Form sheep&stitch on Youtube.
She also got really good beginner patterns and videos.

6 Likes

Somthing that u should start out with is probley a scarf that was the first thing that i started out with and it worked up super fast! The hardest stich to learn is probley a cable.:grin:

5 Likes

Wa that’s so cute! My first knited project was the beginning of a sweater, but i frogged it because i didn’t know about blocking lol
I then made a random mini scarf and used it for a crocheted doll lol
Then i made some square and i will practice more
And my biggest project that i didn’t finish was a baby shirt, but i used baby yarn which needed 3 mm hooks and i had 5mm. I have huge gaps because i used gartner (or whatever it’s called, i’m still getting used to knitting names). Honestly, i like the look, but my mother in law said it would wash horribly. Any tips for that?

4 Likes