Learning about disabilities and ableism in the fiber arts community

Thanks! Hopefully it will :heart:

9 Likes

Thank you for that! I completely agree with you, and that’s what I was kind of addressing by putting forward the social model over medicalization. Just as we have legislation to put in ramps for folks who cannot navigate stairs, we should be finding supports for brains that work differently. Of course acknowledging that “different” is still based in a social and medical demonization of anything outside the established “norm”, a norm based in power structures. A norm for which society is built.

Personally, I’m autistic and speaking but I’m prone to shutdowns that make speaking difficult or impossible temporarily. Sometimes it’s overstimulation, or a trauma response. Sometimes I can remove myself from the situation and recover, other times I can’t. I so appreciate the increase in AAC options that are accessible without needing a therapist, thus offering more control to the individual to decide. They should be considered a tool, like any mobility tool or learning tool, both a choice and widely accessible and accepted.

I love what you said about existing without supplementing. We have value because we exist, all of us. Valuation based on ability is a product of late-stage capitalism and its glorifying of productivity. I’m so happy to see the effort to tear these ideas down is growing :muscle:

3 Likes

And OPEN the door for what insurance will pay for. Critical point here.

5 Likes

I think some “abled” people are reading this.

4 Likes

Thank you :heart:

5 Likes