Let's celebrate World Mental Health Day together 💜

It’s not easy to talk about our mental health. Our feelings. What we’re going through.
It’s because we are rarely encouraged to do so.

But mental health is a key factor in our wellbeing. And feeling low or depressed is nothing to be ashamed of.

We live the majority of our lives in the digital world and we often feel pressured to show the best version of ourselves. But the truth is that we’re not always feeling our best. And that’s okay. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Instead of comparing ourselves to others we all need to try and compare ourselves to our past-selves, asking: how am I today compared to how I was yesterday?

Most if not all crafters agree that their craft really helps reduce stress and improve their mental health. In fact, 1 in 2 crafters say that their craft helps them fight depression.

If you feel low today or any other day, know you are not alone. We all feel low from time to time.

Remember you’ve got your craft by your side, and as importantly an entire community of people who share the same passion and often go through similar experiences. We are here for each other.

And that’s why this year we decided to feature a small group of talented Ribblrs who agreed to speak about their mental health.
We asked them one simple question: “how does your craft affect your mental health?”

Here’s what they say:

“As someone who is often anxious, crocheting has always been a way for me to relax.” - @crochetbyak

“When I crochet; my eyes, my mind and my hands are completely focused on the project. Everything else is blocked out. Nothing else matters in that moment not the memories of combat, bills, the anxiety, the nightmares and PTSD, all of it is blocked out. And that has given me a new coping mechanism in that, much of the time I am now able to tune out all of my triggers, even when I’m not crocheting!” -@combatcrochet

“Knitting allows me to process my anxiety, depression, and PTSD in a productive functional way. Each stitch serves as a stepping stone towards having a more mindful understanding of what’s going on in my head.” - @rhyflowerknits

“As a senior in high school, life can get pretty stressful. Between school, extracurriculars, work, and managing my small business, I’m under pressure and stress quite often. Crocheting is a way to let loose and put my mind at ease, as I sit in silence and work on a new pattern or plushie. It’s a form of therapy that has helped to calm me before heading into another stressful day. Other than being a positivity booster, it gives me more strength and willingness to be productive. I’m forever thankful for the positive mental health that crocheting has given and will continue to give to me.” - @vibescrochetco

“Crochet has done absolute wonders for my mental health. It gives me a place to focus any anxious energy and the repetitive motion is almost like meditating. It gives me the time and space I need to process all of the stressors in my day to day life, so I’m better equipped to deal with them. Not to mention the sense of accomplishment I feel when I can see the process I’ve made on a project…” - @drewbieszoo

“Crocheting assists with mental health by allowing tranquility within the Soul, when Anxiety & Stress arrive into sight. Crocheting conveys such a brilliant sense of peace-& with that calmness that rests within each stitch- truly retains all that is Love, Serenity as well as Creativity. I am beyond grateful to have this Craft in my Life to embrace when times get a bit rocky, for it is always there, with such unrelenting comfort…” - @TheDreamCrochet
244420272_414224580132312_3429164819801227146_n

“My mental health journey has always been a a struggle, but crocheting has impacted it for the better in so many ways. Crocheting is a part of my everyday life, it’s how I cope! When I learned how to crochet years ago, it brought me out of a really dark spot. I found myself in a whole new world, meeting so many amazing individuals, and finding true happiness in the crochet community! It was a hobby for many years, then the pandemic happened. One of the places I worked at had to shut down, and that’s when I decided to turn my hobby into a business. Running a business does come with stressful days and break downs, but I wouldn’t change it for anything! Being able to have my own business doing what I love, crocheting, has been such a positive impact on my mental health!.” - @CrochetbyKaylee
244389497_1906413046187337_8585377636597815832_n

“I have anxiety. Crafting helps me focus on the things right in front of me, instead of the things happening inside of me or around me. When I feel the anxiety starting to happen, knitting or crocheting something helps me breath and that helps stop the anxiety escalating. The anxiety is still there, the craft doesn’t cure that, but it keeps it controllable for a bit longer until I can get to a safe space. Crafting helps me from getting full blown anxiety attacks.” - @Kreaida

So let’s celebrate this World Mental Health Day together! :purple_heart:

28 Likes

Totally Agree with every word been shared on this topic. It’s help with this pandemic situation, help me to reduce stress, overthinking & keeping me focused, relax and calm.

Happy World Mental Health Day everybody :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :partying_face:

7 Likes

That’s fantastic to hear. Thank you so much for sharing :purple_heart:

4 Likes

I totally agree with how therapeutic crafting can be. It’s 11 years now since I ended up on permanent disability and am in constant pain. I’ve had both hips replaced, which helped reduce my pain. I have no disk between my L4 & L5 vertebrae and there’s a lot of bone growth which is pinching the nerve that runs everything from the waist down and the more I do, the faster I’ll end up paralyzed from the waist down. So I’m basically housebound as sitting, standing and walking irritate my nerve so much it cuts through my pain meds and if I stand for 15 minutes I’m in so much pain I can barely have a conversation.

I started knitting because there are only so many things that you can do while reclining, without knowing about the health benefits that came with it. That was an awesome bonus! :grinning: I keep trying new techniques and patterns, because the harder I have to concentrate the further my pain retreats. It’s nice to get a bit more pain relief in my day.

We had a marigold plant that grew in between our sidewalk blocks this summer and every time I saw it, all I could think of was keep going no matter how rough things are, it will get better. So I snapped a picture of it. I hope it helps each of you remember how incredibly tough you are!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing. This is incredibly inspiring :purple_heart:

5 Likes

It’s beautiful, I think everyone can use that beautiful message.

7 Likes

I suffer with Bipolar Disorder (Type 1 rapid cycling) and while I have mine relatively controlled, I know many don’t, or even fighting for a diagnosis. I am involved in mental health awareness and aiding others. Anything from helping them get services and appointments, to just lending them an ear. While there is less stigma around it now days, there’s still nowhere near enough help for those suffering. It’s important for social media and services to share this struggle and thank you Ribblr for helping us in this fight.
So anyone here needing help for themselves or others, just drop me a message x

6 Likes

Thank you ever so much for sharing this. :purple_heart: :clap:

5 Likes

This is really wonderful.
Mental health is just as important as physical health and the sooner we can acknowledge it, the sooner we feel comfortable enough speaking about it, the better we’ll feel.

It really is so inspiring to hear everyone speaking about their mental health.

8 Likes

For me crochet and knitting is something that brings me so much happiness that I can’t imagine my life without it! :heart:
I love hearing from everyone about this subject, thank you all for sharing! :hugs:

5 Likes

This came across my feed. I applaud the courage of these crocheted who came forward. I love all of your stories.

5 Likes