Lets talk yarn!

Recently I have seen a lot of people switch over to chunky yarn. What’s your favorite type of yarn to make amigurumi with? And why do you like it?

11 Likes

Personaly I always use acrylic, I think it looks the cleanest in the end. But with this chunky yarn trend I’m considering trying it out.

11 Likes

I love using worsted acrylic for detailed, realistic patterns. I find rhe chunky yarn works best for chibi like patterns. It gives the cutesy look. For me, its mostly about texture. I really wish I could find a smooth silky acrylic worsted yarn for my more detailed amigurumi.

10 Likes

Blanket yarn, it’s so soft and chonky

7 Likes

Do you usually use patterns specifically for blanket yarn? Or adapt other patterns with hook size to use the blanket yarn. I want to try, but all the patterns I bought are acrylic so far

7 Likes

I mostly use milk cotton and i do the way the pattern goes even if it’s for chunky yarn and vice versa. In the end it looks mostly the same just that the texture is different, so don’t worry to adapt it to chunky​:wink:

9 Likes

Thanks so much! This is great to hear :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Normally if I see a pattern originally made with dk yrn and I think it would look even cuter with blanket yarn I make it I might take out rnds of increases but I keep most things the same

7 Likes

Where do you get your milk cotton from?
That and bamboo are two things I find hard to find here in the US

7 Likes

I bought it online, bamboo,milk cotton and wool are the most common yarns found here in Indonesia, chunky yarns are harder to find. Sorry that I’m not really helping :pray:t2:

7 Likes

Depends on the vibe I’m going for. If I want a cute collectable for my nerd shelf, acrylic. If I want a cuddle pillow, blanket yarn. I like the look of cotton, but hate working with it so I don’t :joy:

6 Likes

I’ve recently become obsessed with mixing textures. Using chunky yarn for the main or lerge pieces and using worsted for details.

6 Likes

I’m a risk taker​:joy:. I used a chunky chenille yarn using a 3mm hook for an Axolotl pattern that used cotton yarn it made the axolotl large plushy size which was what my daughter asked for. I usually use acrylic yarn or an acrylic mixed yearn for my Amigurumi.

6 Likes

Ooo do you have a photo? I’d love to see!

4 Likes

Omg I need to clean my phone I’ve got a million photos in here. This is the example I can fid right now. I’m currently working on a frog that’ll have it though so I’ll get a photo of that soon as it’s together.

fin

8 Likes

Although I like chenille or blankets yarns
My favorite is still worsted.

3 Likes

I use Paintbox cotton/aran worsted weight yarn and chunky blanket when it’s warrented.

5 Likes

Chunky yarn but it’s so expensive

4 Likes

Oh, that’s ok.
:smiley:
Thank you :two_hearts:
One thing I miss about the middle east, easy access to bamboo yarn :smiley:

5 Likes

I mostly use chenille yarns for chunkier toys although when using cotton I use aran weight. I go small on the hook though so doesn’t look particularly thick when I use it.

7 Likes